The Student Room Group

i neeeed freeedom!!!! :( hate my family's backwards culture!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JD1lla
why dn't you want to disobey your parents?

because i'm a respectful, obedient daughter? and i love them lol
Original post by FahzB
It seems as though you're choosing to abide by their rules - if you really wanted to move out or simply, not follow your parent's rules then why don't you?

I honestly don't understand the whole 'I don't wan to disobey my parents' thing since unless you were making morally bad decisions in your life, I think you should be making your own decisions.

Unfortunately, I'm Bengali, temporarily stuck in this stupid Bengali environment surrounded by idiots who agree with their backwards culture but I don't let culture or religion dictate my life; I'm in charge of my life, it's as simple as that.

yeah, but are you a guy?
Reply 22
Original post by booyahkasha
yeah, but are you a guy?

No, I'm female and my gender doesn't limit my ability to carry out my life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Sammydemon
Asia is a very big place. Do you hail from the siberian tundra, the steppes of Kazakhstan, the deserts of Pakisan, the Vietnamese jungles or perhaps the Japanese islands?

I could only guess.

that was so poetic. Odd you picked deserts of Pakistan instead of mountains though. Great mountains.

Guess though!
Original post by FahzB
No, I'm female and my gender doesn't limit my ability to carry out my life.

ahh okay, well, I applaud you!
Original post by JD1lla
that was so poetic. Odd you picked deserts of Pakistan instead of mountains though. Great mountains.

Guess though!

I'll go with Siberia.

But on a serious note, how can you instantly relate to another "asian" in spite of the fact that the continent is so gigantic and diverse.

Surely the Japanese do no feel an innate connection to Arabians by virtue of being from the same continent.
Reply 26
Original post by Sammydemon
I'll go with Siberia.

But on a serious note, how can you instantly relate to another "asian" in spite of the fact that the continent is so gigantic and diverse.

Surely the Japanese do no feel an innate connection to Arabians by virtue of being from the same continent.

I don't relate to people because of where they are from. In fact, Asian culture closest to my hedonistic ways would probably be the Japs. I don't relate to any culture specifically. Im not letting it define me.
Original post by FahzB
It seems as though you're choosing to abide by their rules - if you really wanted to move out or simply, not follow your parent's rules then why don't you?

I honestly don't understand the whole 'I don't wan to disobey my parents' thing since unless you were making morally bad decisions in your life, I think you should be making your own decisions.

Unfortunately, I'm Bengali, temporarily stuck in this stupid Bengali environment surrounded by idiots who agree with their backwards culture but I don't let culture or religion dictate my life; I'm in charge of my life, it's as simple as that.

probably get disowned if she disobeys parents
Quit uni and take a gap year, do some travelling and get experience. if ur 18 they can't stop you from doing anything. Please don't waste away your life trying to please other people like your parents, you only got one shot at living life the way you want to.
Original post by JD1lla
I don't relate to people because of where they are from. In fact, Asian culture closest to my hedonistic ways would probably be the Japs. I don't relate to any culture specifically. Im not letting it define me.

I thought that was what you did earlier. Nevermind then.
Original post by booyahkasha
everyone seems to be doing exciting things with their life, it's not fair.
i'm sick of my family being so strict.
i want to experience and travel but my parents would never let me do those things unless i decide to get married -___- ffs.
i hate this backwards culture.

i'm not even allowed to stay out late with friends.
i get so jealous of my people who are allowed to travel, even if it's just a day trip to london.

i'm actually starting to feel depressed.
i've got no real friends, i hate uni, and i'm bored with life. this year has been the worst :frown:

i feel 4 u...... same wiv me but my parents are 'sick' of me -_-...... dont really give a crap, just waiting till i hit 18
Reply 31
Original post by The Diplomat.
probably get disowned if she disobeys parents

Such an unfortunate truth especially in Asian families but if her parents were to disown her over wanting to have independence then surely that says something about them?
Original post by FahzB
Such an unfortunate truth especially in Asian families but if her parents were to disown her over wanting to have independence then surely that says something about them?

well thats asian culture for you. Im guessing her parents were strictly obedient to their parents and so they would expect the same. :/
Reply 33
Original post by The Diplomat.
well thats asian culture for you. Im guessing her parents were strictly obedient to their parents and so they would expect the same. :/

I definitely agree with you, we can only hope the cycle is broken in the future.
Original post by FahzB
I definitely agree with you, we can only hope the cycle is broken in the future.

yeah the cycle will defo be broken for sure. Even now Interracial marriage is becoming more accepted in Asian families, although there's still a long way to go yet.
Original post by FahzB

That requires someone to be brave enough to break free from the tradition. I believe parent's shouldn't be so controlling, especially of an adult. My family is overprotective but atheist so I at least don't have any controlling cultures to deal with.
Reply 36
Truth is you're under their roof therefore subject to their rules, you are the beggar in this case and beggars cant be choosers. That however doesnt mean you cant find a job and become self-sufficient to live the 'free' life you dream of away from your parents.
OP. I'm guessing your muslim. Islamically speaking, you aren't allowed to travel more than 48-56 miles without a mahram (the extact distance is debatable). You are however, allowed to live alone. Just get your dad/brother to drive you down to London if you want to move for uni. Religion overrules Culture, it may be a hard concept for your parents to grasp but living alone, away from family is allowed in Islam for a woman. Just travelling over certain distances isn't permissible. Hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply