Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am asking this on behalf of my brother. Having finished college this year, he is taking a gap year and wants to do AS Maths (sit in Summer 2016). However, he hasn't done ANY maths since he finished his GCSEs two years ago. Before he starts self teaching AS maths he needs to re-familiarise himself with the GCSE prerequisites. What would be his best course of action? Having done A Level Maths I advised him to watch all available GCSE algebra videos off examsolutions.net and maths.com. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Do all the past papers, mark them with corrections, highlight three key topics that are the hardest in each paper, revise said topics, redo past papers. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avocado2002)
    Do all the past papers, mark them with corrections, highlight three key topics that are the hardest in each paper, revise said topics, redo past papers. Easy.
    I agree with this advice but only once he has learnt the AS content. this issue is that he's not even up to speed with GCSE content at the minute. advice specific to this issue is more what I was looking for but thank you either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    I am asking this on behalf of my brother. Having finished college this year, he is taking a gap year and wants to do AS Maths (sit in Summer 2016). However, he hasn't done ANY maths since he finished his GCSEs two years ago. Before he starts self teaching AS maths he needs to re-familiarise himself with the GCSE prerequisites. What would be his best course of action? Having done A Level Maths I advised him to watch all available GCSE algebra videos off examsolutions.net and maths.com. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
    Gilo98, does this help? It goes through everything you should be up to speed with following GCSE's making the jump to AS Level. It's really good and everything is explained in a step by step manner

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...up/default.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Gilo98, does this help? It goes through everything you should be up to speed with following GCSE's making the jump to AS Level. It's really good and everything is explained in a step by step manner

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/proje...up/default.htm
    Thats absolutely perfect thank so! I will be passing this onto him asap!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I agree with this advice but only once he has learnt the AS content. this issue is that he's not even up to speed with GCSE content at the minute. advice specific to this issue is more what I was looking for but thank you either way.
    Maybe what that poster suggested but to do GCSE past papers instead of AS?

Or pick out A* topics from a GCSE textbook and answer those.

Or dive straight in, get a textbook and start looking at questions and learn things as he goes?

Look at me, rhyming accidentally.

ReputationRep:
    Thats absolutely perfect thank so! I will be passing this onto him asap!!
    Thank you and best wishes to him in his endeavour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Maybe what that poster suggested but to do GCSE past papers instead of AS?

Or pick out A* topics from a GCSE textbook and answer those.

Or dive straight in, get a textbook and start looking at questions and learn things as he goes?

Look at me, rhyming accidentally.
    Ah I see, my apologies Avocado2002

Thanks for your suggestions, I reckon going straight into C1 after a couple of days of algebra practice would be sufficient.

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    A deep, genuine understanding of GCSE-level algebra (not just getting an A 'cos you learnt exam technique!) is really important. When I attempted AS maths, I had scraped an A grade in my GCSE maths, mostly from doing a million past papers and learning how to answer the questions. I struggled an insane amount with almost all of the content -- I simply did not have a good grasp of algebra or functions.

Most of my classmates had done Additonal maths GCSE, so they had basically already learnt most of C1.

If you have the motivation to study and practice, you can do AS maths. If you struggle with algebra, or don't have a good understanding of it, then your motivation to practice will be zapped, because you won't have the foundation for the more complex maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suirrel)
    A deep, genuine understanding of GCSE-level algebra (not just getting an A 'cos you learnt exam technique!) is really important. When I attempted AS maths, I had scraped an A grade in my GCSE maths, mostly from doing a million past papers and learning how to answer the questions. I struggled an insane amount with almost all of the content -- I simply did not have a good grasp of algebra or functions.

Most of my classmates had done Additonal maths GCSE, so they had basically already learnt most of C1.

If you have the motivation to study and practice, you can do AS maths. If you struggle with algebra, or don't have a good understanding of it, then your motivation to practice will be zapped, because you won't have the foundation for the more complex maths.
    I agree with you on the focus of Algebra. I think its imperative to do well at AS. I reckon that if he 'understood' all the concepts covered on the 'Algebra' videos on examsolutions.net here he would be in good stead algebra-wise. Would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    Simplifying and solving equations are very important for the earlier work in C1. In particular, work on quadratics (factorisation, solving quadratic equations using the formula, completing the square). This is A* GCSE material that crosses over into A-level.
    The trickier bits of C1 quadratics are covered in this playlist:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pHUJwMUTlQlki8

Hope this helps,

Tom (IDK-tuition.com: online maths, economics and ACT tuition/resources)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.