Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

moving to bt infinity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im currently with virgin media and have the 150mb internet package with weekend calls
    with virgin i only get 80 wired and 35 wireless with fluctuating speeds and youtube vids taking long to load as well as internet cutting out.

Bt have a sale on their 76mb broadband and weekend calls
    has anyone had any experience with bt infinity 2?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The speed you get from any internet provider is determined by the quality of the cable to your house, the distance from your house to the exchange, the speed of the fibre from the exchange to the main router and how many people (in your local area) are connected to that router and are using the internet at any one time

I would suggest that if you are getting 80MBits with Virgin, you would struggle to get better with BT Infinity which generally uses the old fashioned telephone cable from your house to the exchange which was not designed for the internet. In contrast, Virgin tends to utilise dedicated cable originally installed for cable TV but more more up to the job of offering high bandwidth offerings.

If you want to improve your Wifi, buy a new wifi router. They are not dear. Failing that, there might be something slowing down your devices / PC because 35MBits should be plenty to stream the average Youtube video in reasonably high resolution. For example, I struggle to stream live radio on my phone (Note 2), but my iPad and Laptop have no problems.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.