Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Prime Minister's Questions

Welcome to the latest instalment of PMQs.

PMQs is an opportunity for members to debate the policies and ideas of the MHoC's Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. RayApparently MP, who will answer your questions over the course of two days.

The Leader of the Opposition, the Rt. Hon. Life_peer MP, may ask two questions, with a follow-up question for each. MPs may ask one question, with one follow-up. Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-ups. Please keep the joke questions to a minimum.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    QFA
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    QFA
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Might as well answer no.1

This evening I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others (mostly involving me congratulating them on finally becoming 'ministerial colleagues') and in addition to my duties in this House I will have further such meetings later today. Oh and sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Cabinet and budget. Why it's taking so long and when are you going to announce the former? As for the latter, January is too late; it's the equivalent of two years IRL and it can be done much faster without sacrificing quality so I really see no justification for putting it off like that. If you're keen to demonstrate that this government is different and likely to be successful, you'll have a budget out by the end of November. We're about two weeks into the term and we still don't even know who the Chancellor is.

Edit: Oh, there is the former! Clap-clap.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Cabinet and budget. Why it's taking so long and when are you going to announce the former? As for the latter, January is too late; it's the equivalent of two years IRL and it can be done much faster without sacrificing quality so I really see no justification for putting it off like that. If you're keen to demonstrate that this government is different and likely to be successful, you'll have a budget out by the end of November. We're about two weeks into the term and we still don't even know who the Chancellor is.

Edit: Oh, there is the former! Clap-clap.
    Good question. The Chancellor being the ever capable Jarred I'm sure the budget when it comes out will be of an outstanding quality. The last government was rushed and ended up panicking, recognising that full budgets are actually quite rare in the MHoC, I will not be repeating those mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Prime Minister,
    After discussions with your cabinet have taken place prior to their appointment, are you excited for the plans the respective departments have produced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Good question. The Chancellor being the ever capable Jarred I'm sure the budget when it comes out will be of an outstanding quality. The last government was rushed and ended up panicking, recognising that full budgets are actually quite rare in the MHoC, I will not be repeating those mistakes.
    Thanks for the answer but you avoided the question of why it took so long so I'd like to reiterate my original question: Why did it take so long to announce the Cabinet and can you give us a realistic estimate on when you'll publish a budget (not January, which is ten to thirteen weeks since the beginning of the term – clearly a figure which doesn't indicate competence)?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Mr Prime Minister,
    After discussions with your cabinet have taken place prior to their appointment, are you excited for the plans the respective departments have produced?
    Absolutely. I thank my right honourable friend the Secretary of State for Education for bringing this up and must note that the excellent ideas his own department have already produced are very exciting - as is the major and now virtually completed project undertaken by the Energy Secretary. The Home Secretary is preparing a very wide ranging report that should also give the House much to chew on quite soon. The calibre of this terms ministers is really very promising.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does the Prime Minister agree with me when I say that the constant talk of the budget from some members of the opposition is merely them playing impatient for the sake of doing so?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Prime Minister. First of all, congratulations. One of the better results which could have been achieved.

Secondly, however, I have to ask - do you not fear that association with the Liberals might tie your hands to dogmatic free-marketism in situations where justice clearly requires market regulation?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks for the answer but you avoided the question of why it took so long so I'd like to reiterate my original question: Why did it take so long to announce the Cabinet and can you give us a realistic estimate on when you'll publish a budget (not January, which is ten to thirteen weeks since the beginning of the term – clearly a figure which doesn't indicate competence)?
    It appears I deleted the answer before clicking reply, my bad.
    We took a methodical approach and I think its paid off in a very solid looking cabinet. The amount of time it took has been exaggerated - time may sometimes feel like it drags in the MHoC but it really isn't very long after the State Opening of Parliament.

The budget will not be rushed. And now that the Chancellor has been appointed if he feels that his prior experience and the support of his government will allow him to produce a budget quicker than previously expected then that is for him to declare and the House will be given the opportunity to ask such questions in Chancellor's Qs. My personal opinion is that a mid-term budget allows for bills passed that term to be accounted for and is a good milestone in the term and as such I will not be pressuring the Chancellor on the matter but rather I'll be giving him every support in producing the best budget possible.

ReputationRep:
    Could the Prime Minister give us some indication of what style of foreign policy he will adopt, with regards to the current crises in the Middle East in particular.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Could I ask the Prime minister if he doth formally declare the game to be over?

ReputationRep:
    What plans does the Prime Minister have for constitution reform within this Parliament?

ReputationRep:
    May I first congratulate my Honourable Friend, the Prime Minister on the election result, and putting together a cabinet of such quality. Secondly may I ask the Prime Minister if he plans to move forward in the near future with any of the policies put forward in the manifesto we ran our General Election campaign on.

ReputationRep:
    What is the prime ministers position on the creation of an elected House of Lords. ( otherwise known as a MHoL )
    (Said house would have limited power and limited size.)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Firstly, I would like to congratulate the new Prime Minister.

I would also like to ask what sort of bills we have got to look forward to; is there anything big in the pipeline, or are we going to be waiting for those as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mr Prime Minister, can I ask what are your plans on renewable energy?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Prime Minister,

May I ask if you have any specific plans to deal with Northern Irish issues this term, and how do you feel the ongoing talks in Northern Ireland are progressing?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Does the Prime Minister agree with me when I say that the constant talk of the budget from some members of the opposition is merely them playing impatient for the sake of doing so?
    My right honourable friend makes an excellent point and I do wholly agree with him. We have gone terms without a (proper) budget we will survive a few more months/weeks. What's important to note is that this government - as evident from its choice of Chancellor and the calibre of Labour's bills last term - is determined to actually produce a budget that I'm sure will be an impressive piece of work.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Mr Prime Minister. First of all, congratulations. One of the better results which could have been achieved.

Secondly, however, I have to ask - do you not fear that association with the Liberals might tie your hands to dogmatic free-marketism in situations where justice clearly requires market regulation?
    I thank my right honourable friend for his congratulations - I agree that it is a good result.

It's an interesting point on ideology from someone with whom I suspect I share a lot of common ground with regards to beliefs. However having discussed internally topics such as government intervention into energy markets, the encouragement of worker's cooperatives (which my party began last term with support from the Liberals and other parts of the House) and education reform I fell quite confident that this government will be able to push forward a policy platform that isn't afraid of government intervention when it is needed. Indeed it is often needed and no one in my government will shy away from that fact.

(Original post by Moleman1996)
    Could the Prime Minister give us some indication of what style of foreign policy he will adopt, with regards to the current crises in the Middle East in particular.
    My highly capable Deputy junaidk7 has been appointed Foreign Secretary and will likely be taking questions from the House at some point in the coming weeks - out of respect I do not wish to establish too much formal policy here. However the general stance of my party (and I'm sure our coalition colleagues will agree) has been quite clear - diplomacy over conflict and a pacifism tempered with an awareness that as a liberal democracy we do have certain responsibilities in the world. As per the Liberal party manifesto the government will take a more active role in the refugee crisis.

(Original post by Aph)
    Could I ask the Prime minister if he doth formally declare the game to be over?
    Ok, sure why not.

(Original post by jamestg)
    What plans does the Prime Minister have for constitution reform within this Parliament?
    I'm glad this question came up. Constitutional reform is a policy area that I personally am very interested in. Labour's Constitutional Reform Spokesperson cranbrook_aspie has now been appoint as Secretary of State for Constitutional Reform, Devolution and Rural Affairs and I look forward to seeing him build on his work in the last term. There's no doubt he's the person for the job. Working with him and the wider cabinet I will be pursuing expansive House of Lords reform and local government reform in the immediate future to build on the electoral reform achievements of the last term.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    May I first congratulate my Honourable Friend, the Prime Minister on the election result, and putting together a cabinet of such quality. Secondly may I ask the Prime Minister if he plans to move forward in the near future with any of the policies put forward in the manifesto we ran our General Election campaign on.
    I thank my right honourable friend for her congratulations.
    As with last term, Labour's manifesto details my policy priorities as a party leader. This of course must be balanced with the input of our coalition partners who are bringing some promising ideas to the table. In the medium term I will be pursuing dramatic education reforms with the Secretary of State for Education JoeL1994 and looking to increase the supply of housing to meet demand with the Home Secretary PetrosAC. Beginning a rapid clean energy revolution and reforming the archaic House of Lords once and for all will be my short-term priorities.

Note that in the last Labour manifesto our achievements formed a longer list than our objectives. Hopefully this government will overachieve.

(Original post by JeremyOU)
    What is the prime ministers position on the creation of an elected House of Lords. ( otherwise known as a MHoL )
    (Said house would have limited power and limited size.)
    The government will pursue Lords Reforms culminating in a partly or wholly elected second chamber with a dramatically reduced size. This initiative will be spearheaded by the Secretary of State for Constitutional Reform.

(Original post by Andy98)
    Firstly, I would like to congratulate the new Prime Minister.

I would also like to ask what sort of bills we have got to look forward to; is there anything big in the pipeline, or are we going to be waiting for those as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thank my right honourable friend for his congratulations and extend my own public congratulations on his ascension to to leader of party.

I direct him to my previous answers.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Prime Minister, can I ask what are your plans on renewable energy?
    I direct my honourable friend to the Labour party manifesto and the statement that will be issued later today.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I would like to congratulate the Prime Minister on another excellent election result.

I must ask, does the Prime Minister have any plans for reform of law and order this term?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.