Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English literature or Sociology A-level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to take biology, chemistry and English lit/ sociology (maybe both?)
    I absolutely adore English lit and I love reading! I'm worried that taking four A-levels will be too stressful..I've also heard that English lit can be time consuming? Sociology seems interesting, but it's also seen as a 'soft' A-level.

So should I focus on 3 a levels and get an A/A* grade? Or 4?

**can someone also give me a list of books to read before starting the english literature course?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Four a-levels are doable. It depends on you as a person though, if you feel you're committed to the work then go for it! All A-levels are time consuming. I did AS English Literature and it was really fun. You get a lot out of it and it's so satisfying. I loved reading too but English Literature kind of sucks the fun out of it because you're forced to read. Sociology is a lot of fun if you're into learning about how society works. It involves a lot of note-taking and memorising sociologists. My friends who did Biology and Chemistry did struggle because it's quite 'hard' so in terms of that it might be better choosing three. I agree that you'd rather get 3 good a-levels than 4 not so good a-levels. In AS though, you might not get 'good' grades so you have the option to drop one which is a good back up plan? You can then focus on 3 a-levels in your second year.
    In terms of books I'd say research what set texts you might be doing. You don't necessarily have to read classics but if I was you i'd read a variety. I'll give you a few examples. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee etc. You can google it and i'm 80% sure that AQA has a list of books you could read. Wider reading is so good for building your vocabulary and some books often reference to other books so you'd have a greater understanding.
    Good luck! Hope this helped!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.