Turn on thread page Beta

Hey,

So recently I've been thinking about my ex a lot and now I'm confused. Reason being - we broke up two years ago and I've been in two relationships since then (I'm still in one of them now).
    I thought I got over her a long time ago but now I'm questioning whether I ever did/will because I keep thinking about her.

In particular I keep thinking about our sex life and what she's up to. (We had a great sex life)

Is this normal? Do you think you ever really get over someone?

I feel guilty because I'm currently in a relationship but now I'm questioning whether the relationship I'm in is maybe a rebound?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you ever get over them.. you jus learn to live without them

ReputationRep:
    Well if it was two years ago, I don't know how you would consider this relationship a Rebound. To me if that was the case you would have jumped into this relationship right after that break up when you were still heartbroken. I still compare my ex to every guy I meet and the funny thing is I don't wish they were anything like him. I just miss the old times we had - it's pretty normal and healthy to reminisce about the past.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's suggested that you never truly get over your first love, and I can see that it's kind of true.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's normal to remember and wonder about an ex partner as long as you don't feel the need to act on it, it doesn't impact your life or your current relationship. I have a previous partner who I still feel slightly attached to, but equally ones who now mean nothing to me, so it definitely varies

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you fully get over someone because they'll always be there somewhere in your memory and it gets triggered when certain things happen. It would be silly to forget them 100% anyway because at one point you did love them haha

ReputationRep:
    I think you do get fully over someone. You might think about your ex occasionally, but if you're actually comparing (and missing) your ex on a regular basis it probably just shows that your current relationship isn't that great. Like i do occasionally think of my ex but ultimately i am so so happy right now i don't miss him in the slightest, and the love i feel with my boyfriend is so much more intense and real than with my ex.
    Hence i think the problem may be with your current relationship (e.g. The sex isn't good) and this is making you compare to your ex. Not that you actually want to be with your ex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unhealthy to miss someone who's been out of your life for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I think it's unhealthy to miss someone who's been out of your life for 2 years.
    So you think it's 'unhealthy' that I miss my aunt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    I think you do get fully over someone. You might think about your ex occasionally, but if you're actually comparing (and missing) your ex on a regular basis it probably just shows that your current relationship isn't that great. Like i do occasionally think of my ex but ultimately i am so so happy right now i don't miss him in the slightest, and the love i feel with my boyfriend is so much more intense and real than with my ex.
    Hence i think the problem may be with your current relationship (e.g. The sex isn't good) and this is making you compare to your ex. Not that you actually want to be with your ex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a very good point.

My last ex reminded me of a girl I once knew in France who I never quite got over - who I still am not over as a matter of fact.

She reminded of the Frenchie both in physical and personality terms...

I'm not proud of "using" her, but I never had two feet in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly yes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I think you would love, but at the same time, it's hard to to shake off your first love. I think even old people like seniors think about or remember their first crush or first love and I think that's actually natural.

I think it's natural that you won't stop loving them in that way that's different from your current relationship of course.

I remember being in love with my ex and thought I just couldn't live without him. But 4 years down the line, I do rarely think about "what is he doing now" but that was if I were to go to past his neighbourhood or something.

It will only take time to mend a broken heart (however cliche that sounds)!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.