Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was so worried about coming to uni, my first day I was scared too scared even to come out my room for a while lol. But it's not far off Christmas and I'm so happy with the flatmates I've got, two we don't have an awful lot to do with as they do their own thing but they're really nice too, I'm so worried about living arrangements next year.

We haven't discussed it as yet but even though i have friends on my course there's no one else I'm friendly enough with to live with but I understand the others might make friends elsewhere and have separate plans and I wouldn't want to hold them back but I'd love if we were to largely stay as a group.

Is it common to live with the same flatmates after you move out? I'm kind of just praying they ask me if I want to live them. Tbh I'll panic if they don't as I literally have no one else ATM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Monk)
    I was so worried about coming to uni, my first day I was scared too scared even to come out my room for a while lol. But it's not far off Christmas and I'm so happy with the flatmates I've got, two we don't have an awful lot to do with as they do their own thing but they're really nice too, I'm so worried about living arrangements next year.

We haven't discussed it as yet but even though i have friends on my course there's no one else I'm friendly enough with to live with but I understand the others might make friends elsewhere and have separate plans and I wouldn't want to hold them back but I'd love if we were to largely stay as a group.

Is it common to live with the same flatmates after you move out? I'm kind of just praying they ask me if I want to live them. Tbh I'll panic if they don't as I literally have no one else ATM.
    People do this, but if you want it to happen, then don't wait to be asked, do the asking! A lot of people won't have even started thinking about this in November.

Living with your first year flat mates (if you like them) does have the advantage that you know you can live with them, and you probably all have similar budgets.

That said, you'll probably make lots of friends outside of your flat between now and when you will want to start flat hunting. Your flat also sounds fairly big- if it's bigger than about five people. you might find you struggle to find many houses available.

Anyway, suggest it and see what they say (and don't be too hurt if they say they want to think about it). After all, someone has to do the asking.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lots of people I know immediately got a house after 6 weeks with people in their halls that they'd just met, thinking they'd be best friends forever and everything would go perfectly. Nearly all of them regretted it. A lot happens in a year - people fall out, develop other friendships or simply realise they had little in common to begin with. By the end of 2nd year most people couldn't wait to move out of a house which they'd rushed into and where they had nothing in common with half the people they lived with.

You make lots of new friends anyway. Our group of friends from halls all lived together in various different arrangements throughout our time at uni, but by our 3rd year each of us had our own set of friends to spend time with. I had my work friends, another housemate had his course friends, another had his girlfriend and their friends, another had all his sports team friends... you get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask now if you think you really get on!

PS nice to see someone happy at uni!

ReputationRep:
    In follow up to this I've just found out they've all made plans to live together next year without me, feel really depressed now

ReputationRep:
    In follow up to this I've just found out they've all made plans to live together next year without me, feel really depressed now
    Honestly it's not the end of the world, you still have plenty of options. And they clearly weren't that great friends if they kept you out of the loop.

You still have time to become closer with course mates, or people in societies. And if worst comes to worst you can always move in with some new people either halls or a house share with a spare room. you've moved into halls having not known anyone before hand and you handled it, so you can do it again.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Same thing happened to me, I moved on and made other friends.

Worst comes to the worst just move back into halls again. I wish i'd done that in my 2nd year.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.