Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To remove braces or not to... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with TMJ (muscular) and my braces have aggravated the issue. I'm 22 and had braces for 6 months now and it has caused pain in my right jaw. I had a removable brace and a mouthguard and both cause me worse pain than usual. I saw a jaw expert who told me that I need a hawley retainer (the metal removable one) or else I will suffer badly. With my track record of being in pain with bits of metal in my mouth I am not sure about braces.
    My teeth aren't great (obviously) but I feel that having a pretty smile isn't worth waking up to a locked jaw so painful I have to force it open to remove the retainer. I have to have two teeth removed too before I get tracks on my upper teeth and if I don't wear my retainer I am screwed. Even my orthodontist isn't sure this is for me and is urging me to think about this because if I remove them, I will have to pay several grand if I want braces again. She isn't even sure where the retainers will go or when I have to wear them. First it was all the time for months now its just of a night right from the start. I'm a bit lost. I want nice teeth but the pain seems inevitable and I don't know if it's worth having all this trouble for 2 years only for it to be lost because I can't wear a retainer.... Bored of not being able to open my mouth fully or be in pain from eating anything harder than mash.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BlueDahlia)
    I was diagnosed with TMJ (muscular) and my braces have aggravated the issue. I'm 22 and had braces for 6 months now and it has caused pain in my right jaw. I had a removable brace and a mouthguard and both cause me worse pain than usual. I saw a jaw expert who told me that I need a hawley retainer (the metal removable one) or else I will suffer badly. With my track record of being in pain with bits of metal in my mouth I am not sure about braces.
    My teeth aren't great (obviously) but I feel that having a pretty smile isn't worth waking up to a locked jaw so painful I have to force it open to remove the retainer. I have to have two teeth removed too before I get tracks on my upper teeth and if I don't wear my retainer I am screwed. Even my orthodontist isn't sure this is for me and is urging me to think about this because if I remove them, I will have to pay several grand if I want braces again. She isn't even sure where the retainers will go or when I have to wear them. First it was all the time for months now its just of a night right from the start. I'm a bit lost. I want nice teeth but the pain seems inevitable and I don't know if it's worth having all this trouble for 2 years only for it to be lost because I can't wear a retainer.... Bored of not being able to open my mouth fully or be in pain from eating anything harder than mash.
    This is a really hard one. I'd be inclined to just get as many opinions as possible to weigh up your options- ask your normal dentist what they'd do, if you can possibly even another orthodontist. Certainly with GPs on the NHS you're always entitled to a second opinion, I don't know if the rules are for them but could be worth looking into. I'm sure there's people on here who've been in a similar position so hopefully they might be able to advise you too, I hope you manage to work something out and it turns out alright eventually anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    This is a really hard one. I'd be inclined to just get as many opinions as possible to weigh up your options- ask your normal dentist what they'd do, if you can possibly even another orthodontist. Certainly with GPs on the NHS you're always entitled to a second opinion, I don't know if the rules are for them but could be worth looking into. I'm sure there's people on here who've been in a similar position so hopefully they might be able to advise you too, I hope you manage to work something out and it turns out alright eventually anyway
    I saw one guy who also mentioned that it might not be the best idea in the world. The jaw guy said braces would be fine and I might be fine with this retainer but I seriously don't know if my mouth can even handle that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.