Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So the Maintenance grant has recently been taken away from us and now the conservative government propose uncapping tuition fees based on University performance. We will already leave university with a minimum of £27,000 worth of debt just to try and get a good job were we have to pay 40% tax anyway. It is therefore our responsibility as the affected generation, to stop this. We would also be looking out for future generations unlike our predecessors who clearly overlooked us. So i guess my question is, what would be an effective way to combat the governments plans?

ReputationRep:
    What grad jobs pay 40% tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He didn't say straight out of university, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    To pay anything close to 40% tax you'd have to be on a top salary far beyond what an average graduate can expect to reach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    To pay anything close to 40% tax you'd have to be on a top salary far beyond what an average graduate can expect to reach.
    I point you to where OP said 'try'.

I'm not tooting his horn or anything, just pointing out that the nitpicking is a bit misplaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Even so, you don't get to the point where your net salary is 60% of your gross salary until you're earning about £80,000 a year, and that's including student loan repayment. An effective tax rate of 40% is not going to be a concern for most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Even so, you don't get to the point where your net salary is 60% of your gross salary until you're earning about £80,000 a year, and that's including student loan repayment. An effective tax rate of 40% is not going to be a concern for most people.
    Granted, although I suspect that all that means is that OP has a very particular view on what a 'good job' is.

I will let OP speak for himself before we get into a game of 'guess what is in OP's head'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did say try, and most people go to university to eventually get a job that pays over 35k which is the threshold for 40% tax. And look at the US im not saying i agree with the way the country is run but the highest tax bracket there is 39.6%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronWatson)
    I did say try, and most people go to university to eventually get a job that pays over 35k which is the threshold for 40% tax. And look at the US im not saying i agree with the way the country is run but the highest tax bracket there is 39.6%
    The threshold for 40% income tax is £42,385 for people with the standards personal allowance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.