Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Evidence of being financially supported by my spouse watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am about to complete my annual overseas loan assessment form, and I see there has been a slight change from last year, which I have a question about.

After completing my university course in 2005, I emigrated from Britain a few months later to live with my spouse. Unfortunately since then my health has significantly declined and I am now disabled, because of this I haven’t held employment for 8 years, and it’s highly unlikely I will ever be able to have a job again. I am financially supported by my spouse, and I am not eligible to state welfare benefits.

In previous years with my overseas loan assessment form, I included a letter from my spouse to confirm the amount of financial support I receive from them, which the Student Loans Company accepted. This year I read in the SLC proof of income guide, (they give only one example) that I can send them a bank statement to show the funds that I live from, that come from a 3rd party. I can do this, but seeing as I live in a joint household with my spouse, this would make very little sense, because I don’t receive an independent living allowance. All the bills we have which my spouse pays for, groceries, electricity, gas, etc. are for both of us not just me, and for somethings like petrol, my spouse uses much more of to travel to their job. So having read that example I’m not sure exactly what the SLC want me to send them, and I wonder if I can include a letter from my spouse again, confirming the financial support I receive?

Many thanks,

Jim.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Jim

My apologies but we are only able to answer Student Finance questions on here. Please see the repayments website: http://bit.ly/1zJg6TJ or call: 0300 100 0611

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My question was about the information I’d read in the website that you posted. A Google search lead me to this forum and this section, as there were others asking similar questions about their repayments, and they were answered. I wasn’t so lucky.

Seeing as I am quite early for my annual reassessment, I will send them a letter from my spouse again, and see if that is still accepted.

Thanks for reading.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Jim

If this evidence was accepted before, we will likely accept it again. If it is a shared household income, where your partner does not give you money, then leave the amount section blank and send the cover letter.

Thanks

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.