Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else do absolutely nothing at uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    .... like literally nothing.

During undergrad, went to about half of the 6 hours a week (3 lectures, 3 seminars) and that turned into just 4 hours in 3rd year. So 3 hours a week as the bare minimum as lecture attendance wasn't monitored and you could get away with missing 3-4 seminars each term.

Essays were due in mid term and end of term, on average about 2 at each point. I spent on average a night doing them. Sometimes I did two 3000 word essays from midnight to the 4pm deadline working solidly with a little nap. I chose essays as soon as I had a choice and the compulsory exams at the start were over.

I scraped a 2:1 somehow (got used to writing essays rapidly and they rarely checked references). At a Russell Group uni as well.

Now doing a law conversion and sitting a 2:2 I need to convert, but so far all I've done is go to almost all of my 12~ hours a week, writing 2 essays, 1 presentation over last year and doing all nighters for each of my 4 exams.

These leaves me with endless free time. I play a bit of sport and go to the gym, sometimes go out. But the rest is filled listening to music, playing xbox, on forums, on YouTube, going for a drive etc.

Like, this must be what unemployment is like just without the funds as my dad's wealthy and I seem to be on track for a potentially 'successful career' still... first world life really does the the Mickey.

Anyone else have similar stories?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ZolaCFC25)
    .... like literally nothing.

During undergrad, went to about half of the 6 hours a week (3 lectures, 3 seminars) and that turned into just 4 hours in 3rd year. So 3 hours a week as the bare minimum as lecture attendance wasn't monitored and you could get away with missing 3-4 seminars each term.

Essays were due in mid term and end of term, on average about 2 at each point. I spent on average a night doing them. Sometimes I did two 3000 word essays from midnight to the 4pm deadline working solidly with a little nap. I chose essays as soon as I had a choice and the compulsory exams at the start were over.

I scraped a 2:1 somehow (got used to writing essays rapidly and they rarely checked references). At a Russell Group uni as well.

Now doing a law conversion over two years after taking a year out and sitting on a 55, but so far all I've done is go to almost all of my 12~ hours a week, writing 2 essays, 1 presentation over last year and doing all nighters for each of my 4 exams.

These leaves me with endless free time. I play a bit of sport and go to the gym, sometimes go out. But the rest is filled listening to music, playing xbox, on forums, on YouTube, going for a drive etc.

Like, this must be what unemployment is like just without the funds as my dad's wealthy and I seem to be on track for a potentially 'successful career' still... first world life really does the the Mickey.

Anyone else have similar stories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I knew as soon as I slipped that in I would get a snide response a bit like that...

How does that differ from others at uni who may not have a wealthy parent? They can still doss around and do well. Money has nothing to do with it other than I don't need to worry about my finances so much. I also don't spent that much... and others are racking up a debt.

Besides, you make it out as though I'm complaining!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I play sport, go gym, talk to mates, have hobbies, do work, still seem to have most of the day free lol wtf... either need a job or a new romance to keep me occupied...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Yeah. I play sport, go gym, talk to mates, have hobbies, do work, still seem to have most of the day free lol wtf... either need a job or a new romance to keep me occupied...
    What do you do in that free time?

I need a girlfriend lol. But I'm post-grad now so slightly older than most and a bit 'been there, done that'.

All my friends are working now and I'm dragging uni out. It's definitely not the same as undergrad though especially in terms of novelty. Also, there's not many friends at uni to talk to now as any post-grad would attest to!

ReputationRep:
    I got so much work lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lllllllllll)
    I got so much work lol
    Oxford Uni? Yeah, different story lol, but then you can say you went there for the rest of your life! I envy that, if not your workload.

I've literally been on holiday up north for 4 1/2 years with a year our at home in between.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do in that free time?

I need a girlfriend lol. But I'm post-grad now so slightly older than most and a bit 'been there, done that'.

All my friends are working now and I'm dragging uni out. It's definitely not the same as undergrad though especially in terms of novelty. Also, there's not many friends at uni to talk to now as any post-grad would attest to!
    It depends on what I fancy on the day, a good friend of mine sometimes journeys with me to random places on the train which is good fun and kills a lot of time, but usually the things i've already listed, playing sport (tennis, cricket, or going swimming) and spending time with friends (even if its just Netflix and chill) kills the most time. Honestly though having a job or girlfriend kills so much time, you can't be serious about her though because otherwise you have to pace the time you spend with her to make it last which won't kill your free time lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I knew as soon as I slipped that in I would get a snide response a bit like that...

How does that differ from others at uni who may not have a wealthy parent? They can still doss around and do well. Money has nothing to do with it other than I don't need to worry about my finances so much. I also don't spent that much... and others are racking up a debt.

Besides, you make it out as though I'm complaining!
    I don't find anything wrong with your post tbh, I'm much the same. It was too good of a meme opportunity to pass up.

Yeah, I'm self-teaching 3 A-levels, have a part time job, play lacrosse, go to the gym, go mountain unicycling, yet I still have oodles of spare time. Which, I just waste on TSR for the most part nowadays.

Maybe get a new time-intensive hobby? Like graphic design? Or model plane building?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I don't find anything wrong with your post tbh, I'm much the same. It was too good of a meme opportunity to pass up.

Yeah, I'm self-teaching 3 A-levels, have a part time job, play lacrosse, go to the gym, go mountain unicycling, yet I still have oodles of spare time. Which, I just waste on TSR for the most part nowadays.

Maybe get a new time-intensive hobby? Like graphic design? Or model plane building?
    I used to play a high level of sport but I've been injured for 2 1/2 years and haven't fully returned now... and I'm no longer in that squad now as a result (and graduating this summer).

So now it's just the law degree which is supposed to be intense. I should devote more time for that, but there's still over 6 months till summer exams!

Maybe I should spend time in the gym and get rIpped or something. And go clubbing at every opportunity like I'm 18 again lol but that go against the gym thing.

ReputationRep:
    I used to play a high level of sport but I've been injured for 2 1/2 years and haven't fully returned now... and I'm no longer in that squad now as a result (and graduating this summer).

So now it's just the law degree which is supposed to be intense. I should devote more time for that, but there's still over 6 months till summer exams!

Maybe I should spend time in the gym and get rIpped or something. And go clubbing at every opportunity like I'm 18 again lol but that go against the gym thing.
    You can drink Vodka and Diet Coke/Red Bull. No carbs No problemo. That's what I do at least, it doesn't put any weight on.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like my undergraduate degree years. Ahhh good times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    You can drink Vodka and Diet Coke/Red Bull. No carbs No problemo. That's what I do at least, it doesn't put any weight on.
    Yeah i guess all I drink would actually be pure alcohol. Shots and Vodka mixers.

I went back home at got completely hammered on Friday for my friends birthday. Empty stomach and I'm not that experienced a drinker as I didn't drink when I started uni.

About 6 Jaergermeisters, half a bottle of wine, 3 double vodkas and I was completely hammered. I don't even want to me that drunk... i guess it could take me just 400 calories of 4xdouble vodkas to give me a solid buzz.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.