Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Criminal Record and Applying for uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone wondering if someone can help me. Basically, I'm 28 year's old and 8year's ago I got arrested for fraud and convicted in the amount of £195, I got Probation also and I paid a fine and had to go through treatment (Counselling)

At the time, It was stupid I know I completely regret what I did on temporary feelings. I stole from someone online because it made me feel happy and great and just a rush. I was depressed, addicted to stealing, Suicidal etc, I know it doesn't excuse it but that's mainly the reason why I committed the crime in the first place. Infact the money was in the amount of a voucher which I never even used nor did I plan on it. At the time I stopped taking my medication I used to steal in stores alot when I stopped taking my medication my anxiety and panic attacks came back and worsened so I done it online because I never left the house. I'm also diagnosed with Kleptomania and have never stolen anything since I was 20. I've been to counselling I've done my treatment and at that time I was in a dark place.

I've turned my life around, I went from having 0 qualifications, To actually having an education and meeting the requirements for Adult Nursing. I'm in such a great place now and I really don't want my past to affect my future. I've had jobs and I've always declared it, I've explained it to them and they've never had an issue with it.

I'm just wondering will I be able to go to Uni? I don't wanna put so much effort into applying just to get turned down.

I know some people are going to be judgemental and say well you should have though about your future before doing it, But the way I see it, I done the crime and I did the time. Why should I get punished even further? at the time I didn't even think I'd have a future, Plus it was an addiction and I was mentally ill at the time. I've changed as a person like so much and I've grown, I'm alot better physically and mentally. I've also done 2year's of work experience, working in a hospital (With Children and Adults) not sure if this will help me at all. And My 2 previous employers have both said they will give me a really good reference.

Please help thank you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jennifer28)
    Please help thank you
    It may depend on your course, and you may need to check with specific unis.

But UCAS says this:

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about...as-declaration

"We ask you to declare if you have any relevant unspent criminal convictions or punishments. Also, if you are applying for a course leading to certain professions or occupations, such as nursing or teaching, that are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, we will ask you to declare any spent or unspent convictions or punishments that would appear on a criminal records check. Some courses involve an integral work placement and you may not be able to undertake the placement and complete your studies if you have criminal convictions or punishments. In addition, while you may be permitted to train for these professions or occupations, you may not be able to register and practise upon completion of your course. Further information on what we mean by 'relevant', 'unspent' and 'conviction' can be found in the help text in the application which you should read carefully before answering these questions.

Confirming that you have a relevant criminal conviction or punishment will not exclude you from the application process and is collected to help the universities and colleges consider the suitability of applicants for the courses to which they have applied and to reduce the risk of harm or injury to students and staff caused by the criminal behaviour of other students. You may find further details about how a criminal conviction declaration is handled by a university or college on their website (including your right to appeal any decision they make)."
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Also, see this thread (looks positive

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2166717

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As you have done with jobs in the past, be honest and declare it. We've all done stupid things in the past, so don't feel like you're the only one. You could also phone the uni's that you're interested in and talk to them about it. Also you can explain how you can empathise with patients in a similar position etc etc. Use it to your advantage.
    Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.