The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Rank your A-Level subjects in order of difficulty (i.e. easiest to hardest).

N.B. I have attached an image of the ranking of A-Level subjects in order of difficulty. How far do you agree with it?

Just to let you know, it's from a report published by Durham University in 2008.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths, Economics, Biology, History.
Music is harder than Economics? Bruh u trippin
Original post by Ahmed766
Music is harder than Economics? Bruh u trippin

I've heard that the coursework is pretty intense in Music, and then you have the performance aspect as well. Can't really compare it with Economics though as I don't know anything about it.
Original post by 123456789012
I've heard that the coursework is pretty intense in Music, and then you have the performance aspect as well. Can't really compare it with Economics though as I don't know anything about it.

fair enough bruh.. Economics is a nice and logical subject anyway so it's not too bad.. What makes it so great is how interesting it is.
Original post by KIDO123
Maths, Economics, Biology, History.

Maths was definitely one of the easiest subjects for me as well. Biology is probably the hardest science IMO.
(edited 8 years ago)
Additional further maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Further maths
Maths

Edit:this is from hardest to easiest
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths was definitely the easiest subject for me as well. Biology is probably the hardest science IMO.

Close but id say chemistry is harder
Original post by Mentally
Close but id say chemistry is harder

Hmm, yeah. I've heard a lot that Chemistry is considered to be one of the hardest A-Levels but I would beg to differ. IMO, it's the easiest science (probably because I did the best in it). The amount of memorisation you have to do in Biology is unbelievable and the mark scheme is really specific as well, so if the phrasing of your answer isn't right or if you've used slightly wrong terminology then you don't get any marks. With Chemistry, there is leeway if your terminology is slightly incorrect but it's not the case with Biology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Easiest to hardest? - English Lang+Lit, Govern.+Politics, Maths, Law
Reply 10
Original post by saule1116
Easiest to hardest? - English Lang+Lit, Govern.+Politics, Maths, Law

Law is a soft subject apparently, I go English Lit, History, Maths, Further Maths, Biology

All hard, but easiest to hardest
Law
History
English Language
Reply 12
Easiest to hardest: Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Chemistry
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Easiest to hardest: Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Chemistry

Interesting. It would be Chemistry, Maths, Physics and then Biology for me.
Reply 14
Interesting. It would be Chemistry, Maths, Physics and then Biology for me.

You found biology to be the easiest science and chemistry to be the hardest? It was completely the other way round for me at AS. :tongue: Which one is your favourite?
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics:angry:
for me it's Psychology, Classical Civilisation, Sociology (Hardest to easiest)

I definitely think Psychology should be moved up slightly on your graph
Additional Further Maths is probably top of the list.

Then I'd say that Chemistry is more difficult than Physics.

English lit is pretty tough too :unsure:
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
You found biology to be the easiest science and chemistry to be the hardest? It was completely the other way round for me at AS. :tongue: Which one is your favourite?

It's easiest to hardest, lol.. (Chemistry is the easiest IMO)

My favourite would be either Maths or Chem. What about you?
Original post by SeanFM
Additional Further Maths is probably top of the list.

Then I'd say that Chemistry is more difficult than Physics.

English lit is pretty tough too :unsure:

Yeah, definitely. A friend of mines did Maths, Further Maths and Additional Further Maths. He averaged >95% in Maths and FM, but did relatively bad in Additional FM (averaging 82%). M4 and M5 are the probably the toughest Maths modules IMO.

I found it really difficult getting my head around some of the Physics concepts. :/ Chemistry concepts are relatively simple compared to Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest