The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

The most difficult a level is the one that you put the least amount of effort into
Original post by SuperHuman98
The most difficult a level is the one that you put the least amount of effort into

That's not true, I'm doing English Literature with the OCR board and I'm revising a lot but struggling because there's obviously there's a new specification and no past papers but I can't even find a book for that subject and it's very confusing. A Levels are harder for a reason obviously. What are you supposed to do if your teacher is awful too?
Original post by samendrag
Taking all these for AS level and for A2 probably.. Honestly further maths is not too hard, for AS anyway, I am sure A2 is going to be harder and I covered most of C1 in add math in GCSE so Maths is not a challenge aswell. Chem and Physics are defo harder for me personally

Further Maths AS is as easy as regular Maths, provided you're not doing M2 in your first year. A2 is quite a big jump but not insurmountable. It's not too bad actually if you're good in Maths.
Easiest to hardest
Psychology, Sociology, Biology, chemistry
Easiest to hardest
Maths Further Maths
Drama

Physics.
:biggrin:
(the first three are more or less even though.)
Geography. Only because the exam is only 2 hours. Not enough time :rofl:
Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Normal Maths.
Original post by Mentally
Additional further maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Further maths
Maths

Edit:this is from hardest to easiest

You find Further Maths easier than Chemistry?
It's quite the opposite for most students I suppose.
Reply 208
Easiest to hardest: Chemistry, Maths, History, Biology :tongue:
My hardest was Law by far.
Original post by ubisoft
Why do you feel that? Because you do it? :lol:

Law is 100% remembering. You don't have to think once.

I take English Lit, History, Economics and Law. I would most certainly say that English Lit is the hardest - providing it is not your passion.

Nonetheless Law is work intensive; remembering concepts is much easier that remembering facts. It is true that when you move to University you will relearn everything, but that is the same with all three sciences. All A-Levels can be viewed as hard or easy as everyone is different and has their own strengths.
Physics
Maths
Computer Science
Pyschology

(From "Hardest" to "Easiest",not much difference in difficulty between maths and computer science imo but maths just about edges it with calculus atm)
languages are pretty difficult- trying to learn how to become fluent in another language whilst juggling at least 2 other subjects is quite challenging (or so I've found) :emo:
Easiest is definitely Maths with Stats, then Psychology (which I dropped), Biology , then Chemistry.
They're all difficult in different ways so it's hard to rank them.

Like, maths and further maths are easy because I really love maths and I find it so interesting and if you don't exactly remember how to do something you can probably work it out and at least get some of the marks, but they're really difficult because there is so much to learn, understand and remember how to do.

Biology is easy because the concepts are really simple and really interesting but it's difficult because you have to memorise so many words and the mark scheme is really pedantic so if you do not use exactly the right terminology you don't get the marks.

Chemistry I find easy because it's really interesting and understanding and remembering the concepts relies more on logic rather than memory, but it's difficult because the concepts are a lot more complex than biology.
AS:
Biology
Chemistry
History
Maths

A2:
Biology

Maths
Chemistry
For AS I'd say:
-maths
-chemistry
-further maths
-biology
-history (easiest to hardest)

I can't comment on A2 because I've not started learning A2 fm yet
Original post by anousha_f
languages are pretty difficult- trying to learn how to become fluent in another language whilst juggling at least 2 other subjects is quite challenging (or so I've found) :emo:

Yep :frown: I'm starting to internally panic as I'm finding it hard to balance a language with another 2 subjects (of which one is an A2 subject)

:grr:
Maths
T&D
Biology
Chemistry

(easiest to hardest)
(edited 8 years ago)
From what I took, easiest to hardest:

English Lit
Art
Biology
Chemistry

I only find Eng Lit quite easy because I enjoy it so much though. Like, I'd do it in my free time tbh. I imagine it's horrific if you're not interested.
Art is harder than you'd expect because so much effort has to be put in to achieve anything worthwhile, visually and grade wise. Since I was doing two sciences and an essay subject with it, I had to compromise on revision for Lit to get stuff finished to a high enough standard. I didn't have any weekends for a whole year with that and Chem.
Biology (people have mentioned) has a cruel mark scheme, at least, for AQA. It's a lot of material and I spent two months learning the textbook cover to cover, and then my exam had very little breadth of recall and a lot of common sense, and I wasn't very impressed. It's way interesting at A2 though
Chemistry is like being in a relationship where your partner takes your money and your time and leaves you frustrated and hating them, but at the same time, they're so attractive and enigmatic you keep in going, even though you're not sure if the effort you put in will pay off. And at AS results day I found they they paid off just enough to keep me hanging on by a slither of hope. (And of course I mean, a C)

Quick Reply

Latest