Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently a lower sixth student, undertaking the IB at school. I am having some issues, not many, in standard level maths, and wanted to know if dropping to maths studies would impair my chances of achieving a uni place for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Sarkar)
    Hi,
    I am currently a lower sixth student, undertaking the IB at school. I am having some issues, not many, in standard level maths, and wanted to know if dropping to maths studies would impair my chances of achieving a uni place for medicine.
    I'm pretty sure that you need at least maths standard to do medicine at university. When I did IB, my friends who wanted to go into medicine took either maths standard or higher. I wouldn't recommend risking your chances with maths studies.

ReputationRep:
    what other subjects are you doing? maths is very highly recommended but not essential if you have an alternative almost as good. Generally university requirements listings arent a trick so if they say somethings crucial you have to have it (unless you do a foundation year or have extenuating circumstances perhaps) but if they say something is recommended, you may surely be able to get a place if you make up for it in other areas. a problem may rather be that youre dropping out of anything at all. are you doing 5 subjects? or whatever number if the normal amount for IB?
    but on a more positive note my friend took bio, chem, physics, and spanish (dropped spanish after AS) and she got a place and is currently studying medicine in brighton!

also i just reread what you said and im a little confused. sorry if my response doesnt make sense. I dont know much about IBs.

EDIT: just using brighton as an example, this is the entry requirements on their site for medical school. i chose brighton because its not the strictest uni for grades as far as im aware so by looking at them you know that at least one will be ok with it.

You will normally need to pass the International Baccalaureate Diploma with 36 points overall to include both Biology and Chemistry at Higher level. A grade 6 must be achieved in both.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Sarkar)
    Hi,
    You do not need maths a level to do medicine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.