Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if there's already a thread about this, I had a quick look but couldn't see one...

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Aldi Graduate Scheme?

I have just applied and on their website/booklets it does seem like a really good scheme, but after having done some research online I have only found negative comments like 'AVOID ALDI AT ALL COSTS', 'ALDI WILL BLEED YOU DRY OF LIFE' and 'THEY WILL USE AND ABUSE YOU'.

Now I know Aldi don't keep it a secret that it's tough, but after some research and watching Dispatches last night, should I steer clear?

If anyone has any experiences, good or bad, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pimp_my_cheese)
    Sorry if there's already a thread about this, I had a quick look but couldn't see one...

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Aldi Graduate Scheme?

I have just applied and on their website/booklets it does seem like a really good scheme, but after having done some research online I have only found negative comments like 'AVOID ALDI AT ALL COSTS', 'ALDI WILL BLEED YOU DRY OF LIFE' and 'THEY WILL USE AND ABUSE YOU'.

Now I know Aldi don't keep it a secret that it's tough, but after some research and watching Dispatches last night, should I steer clear?

If anyone has any experiences, good or bad, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks
    I haven't seen the dispatches episode yet, however have seen comments from others who have done it in the past.

The general consensus is that it is very hard work but with an extremely generous starting salary + car. After this however there is apparently not much room for progression and so your earnings wouldn't increase much beyond the starting.

It may be worthwhile doing for a few years if you can get it purely for the experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I haven't seen the dispatches episode yet, however have seen comments from others who have done it in the past.

The general consensus is that it is very hard work but with an extremely generous starting salary + car. After this however there is apparently not much room for progression and so your earnings wouldn't increase much beyond the starting.

It may be worthwhile doing for a few years if you can get it purely for the experience.
    Thanks for your reply. I agree it would be good for the management experience and getting used to having lots of responsibilities, but apart from that it doesn't seem as if there's much else you get out of it...

We'll see...

ReputationRep:
    I have heard similar, the pay is good, but then it sounds like you won't have any time to spend the money, I heard of quite a few people quitting to do other things on about half the salary and being much happier.

But it is up to you, if money and hard work is what drives you, it may be worth it. Another negative for me is that I used to work in a supermarket years ago, I definitely didn't hate it, but the work does not interest me. I need interest to motivate myself.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend who did the scheme for 6 months before quitting due to having a nervous breakdown. I know this may be pretty unusual, however there is common knowledge that a large proportion of those that start the scheme fail to finish it. Similarly the claimed career progression is actually highly unlikely as those in positions of directorship generally aren't moving onto more demanding roles. Therefore you may encounter a period of stagnation in your career if going down this route.

Lastly I know a very good source from within the food industry who has stated that those on the Aldi graduate scheme are seriously pushed to their limits in their roles, often expected to work 70 hour weeks.

So by all means be attracted to the role by the high salary, but be prepared to feel serious mental and physical exhaustion in this kind of environment.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if it's like this for the first twelve months, or forever...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.