Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which should I choose for a first car? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ford fiesta, seat ibiza or volkswagen polo?

Not gonna buy one until 2017 though (after I graduate)

Used mainly for commuting to work/city driving probably

ReputationRep:
    Ford Fiesta - (assuming petrol, as no one with common sense would even consider the diesel options of the latter 2 after recent events).

Will have the lowest insurance cost, as the insurers have moved their focus to the erm, Focus.

Resale value will be higher, as both the Seat and VW are part of VW Group which after recent scrutiny has lowered their resale value substantially.

Replacement parts for the Fiesta are generally cheaper and more abundant.

Fiesta with the 1.0L Turbo engine is (genuinely) more efficient than anything the other 2 can produce in real world testing, and provides a pretty responsive driving experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Ford Fiesta - (assuming petrol, as no one with common sense would even consider the diesel options of the latter 2 after recent events).
    I think all bets are off for all manufacturers. I note an article in the Times on Sunday this week reported on a roadside emissions study showing that some brand new diesel Vauxhall cars were emitting 5 times the permitted Nitrogen Oxide emissions. Clearly they passed the rigorous laboratory tests but on the road - hopeless.

At least Seat and VWs will be cheap by next year. I would snap one up. They are still good cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)

Will have the lowest insurance cost, as the insurers have moved their focus to the erm, Focus.

Resale value will be higher, as both the Seat and VW are part of VW Group which after recent scrutiny has lowered their resale value substantially.

Replacement parts for the Fiesta are generally cheaper and more abundant.

Fiesta with the 1.0L Turbo engine is (genuinely) more efficient than anything the other 2 can produce in real world testing, and provides a pretty responsive driving experience.
    That's actually really helpful, thanks. I prefer the appearance of the seat and VW if I'm honest but if the fiesta is more efficient I'll probably go with that, bearing in mind I want to get a 13/14/maybe 15 plate I'll want something I can drive for a couple of years, not just pump and dump after a year.

Also why will the fiesta have a lower insurance cost compared to others? And what happened to the focus?

(Original post by ByEeek)
    I think all bets are off for all manufacturers. I note an article in the Times on Sunday this week reported on a roadside emissions study showing that some brand new diesel Vauxhall cars were emitting 5 times the permitted Nitrogen Oxide emissions. Clearly they passed the rigorous laboratory tests but on the road - hopeless.

At least Seat and VWs will be cheap by next year. I would snap one up. They are still good cars.
    Will prices/resale prices be affected even if the car is petrol (for seat and VW)? seeing as the emissions scandal was only to do with diesel vehicles surely the petrol cars wouldn't be affected too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Will prices/resale prices be affected even if the car is petrol (for seat and VW)? seeing as the emissions scandal was only to do with diesel vehicles surely the petrol cars wouldn't be affected too much?
    Who knows? I don't buy a car to sell. I buy it to drive. And when it is within an inch of dying its death, I have usually saved up enough to buy a new one. My first car did me 120k+ miles over 7 years. My last car did me a good 60k over 6 years and we have just bought a Seat Ibiza with 19k on the clock which will hopefully be good for 10+ years.

I don't really understand the mentality that sees people change their cars every 2 or 3 years. If I took £3k - £10k of their cash and burned in front of them, they would be horrified. But that is what you do every time you sell / buy a new car.

With regard to the emissions scandal - as a driver of a potentially affected car it doesn't bother me unless the recall reduces my MPG. As a buyer, I would be licking my lips because suddenly in the market there would be a load of cheap cars I previously couldn't afford.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows? I don't buy a car to sell. I buy it to drive. And when it is within an inch of dying its death, I have usually saved up enough to buy a new one. My first car did me 120k+ miles over 7 years. My last car did me a good 60k over 6 years and we have just bought a Seat Ibiza with 19k on the clock which will hopefully be good for 10+ years.

I don't really understand the mentality that sees people change their cars every 2 or 3 years. If I took £3k - £10k of their cash and burned in front of them, they would be horrified. But that is what you do every time you sell / buy a new car.
    The tone of your post implies that I will be buying a car to sell again, which is wrong...

ReputationRep:
    ...just get a mid-range milage (say 50K) used Toyota Yaris 1.4 TD diesel.
    £30 pr yr tax, Most reliable car on the road.Tough as nails.
    Cheap/easy to fix
    Does more mpg than virtually anything else on the road. Very comfortable, decent acceleration....
    Still good after 150,000 miles (by which time most cars have been turned into cubes)

I say this, having been a supercar owner too...

ReputationRep:
    The tone of your post implies that I will be buying a car to sell again, which is wrong...
    Apologies. You were curious about resale values hence my post. Resale values are irrelevant if you just want a long term runner.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ford fiesta, seat ibiza or volkswagen polo?

Not gonna buy one until 2017 though (after I graduate)

Used mainly for commuting to work/city driving probably
    If these are your favoured three, I would opt for a Polo. They hold their value and VW are renowned for their quality. Corsa and Fiesta are always a good bet but don't hold their money so well, especially Fiesta, but they're all good little cars. As for Seat, I wouldn't. Spares will cost a lot more than the others I've mentioned.

I would personally suggest starting off with a cheap runaround. I did - and then went on to have many more cheap runarounds because they're so much more fun. You don't have to worry about scraping them because it's neither here nor there. You can abuse them as much as you like. I'm more boring these days but I grew up (sort of).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by versari)
    Toyota Yaris 1.4 TD diesel.
    £30 pr yr tax, Most reliable car on the road.Tough as nails.
    Cheap/easy to fix
    Does more mpg than virtually anything else on the road.
    Still good after 150,000 miles (by which time most cars have been turned into cubes)

I say this, having been a supercar owner too...
    If I was still at uni when I buy a car I'd get that but I kinda want something that looks better as I'll be driving it for a few years

ReputationRep:
    well the popular choice is a mini but financially its risky. They're expensive to work on, poor fuel consumption, and older ones cost over £200 road tax a year.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. You were curious about resale values hence my post. Resale values are irrelevant if you just want a long term runner.

Good luck!
    Unless you plan on running it for the rest of it's life then resale value should be considered. If you buy an expensive car but need to upgrade it when your circumstances change, having something that will hold it's value is important - unless money isn't a particular consideration to you.

If you're getting funding you'll run the danger of having a loan for far more than the value of the car you bought five minutes ago. If you buy a Fiesta from a salesroom for £5,000 with a £5,000 loan, chances are you won't be able to sell the Fiesta back to them for above £3,500. The second you purchase that car, the value of it drops considerably. If you bought a Polo or Golf for the same value and needed to sell or upgrade for any reason, the price will still have dropped once purchased but it will be negligible in comparison to the Fiesta.

The VW will also keep it's value long term, the Fiesta won't. It's financial commonsense and a good point raised by Eeek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melonlemon)
    If these are your favoured three, I would opt for a Polo. They hold their value and VW are renowned for their quality. Corsa and Fiesta are always a good bet but don't hold their money so well, especially Fiesta, but they're all good little cars. As for Seat, I wouldn't. Spares will cost a lot more than the others I've mentioned.

I would personally suggest starting off with a cheap runaround. I did - and then went on to have many more cheap runarounds because they're so much more fun. You don't have to worry about scraping them because it's neither here nor there. You can abuse them as much as you like. I'm more boring these days but I grew up (sort of).
    My top choice is definitely the polo but I'm a bit worried how the scandal will affect it tbh. So it seems a risky option. Corsas are crap so that was never an option tbh

I'll be living in london so insurance will be sky high no matter what, so I may as well get an okay-ish car first time round...it's a hassle buying a car then selling it after a year

ReputationRep:
    Also why will the fiesta have a lower insurance cost compared to others? And what happened to the focus?
    Generally across the range, the Fiesta just sits in lower insurance groups.

For example:

Fiesta with the 1.0T 125ps engine is insurance group (referenced as IG for the rest) 11
    Focus with the same engine is IG 15
    Seat Ibiza with their version of the same engine config is IG 14
    VW Polo with their version of the same engine config is IG 18

And its generally based on the number of claims made against the various cars by similarly aged drivers.

About 5-8 years ago, the Fiesta used to be the most popular first car for young drivers, as the insurance premiums started to drastically climb, other cars became the car to have for low insurance.

VW Polo also has a greater appeal to thieves etc due to the badge (same reason why Skoda and Seat costing less despite being part of VW group and some cars being essentially rebadged VW cars - Up!/Citigo/Mii being the most obvious) so the premiums are higher.

ReputationRep:
    My top choice is definitely the polo but I'm a bit worried how the scandal will affect it tbh. So it seems a risky option. Corsas are crap so that was never an option tbh

I'll be living in london so insurance will be sky high no matter what, so I may as well get an okay-ish car first time round...it's a hassle buying a car then selling it after a year
    Living in London is an even better reason to get an older car.

As for Corsas, have you owned one or driven one? I've had many cars in the past (more than a dozen, my Dad was in the trade) and my Corsas have been some of the most reliable and cheapest to run, not to mention fun, sporty and responsive. Don't discount them if you haven't had first hand experience of them, you could well be missing out if you take for granted other people's off-hand dismissals. They're one of the most popular cars in this country for good reason. The majority of my cars have been Vauxhalls and for a decent little car, they're very hard to beat.

ReputationRep:

Regarding not planning on selling your car in the short to medium term, it's not just about that. What if you have an accident in it and it's written off or it's stolen? The book price on something like a Fiesta will be far lower than the book price on a VW. That means the insurance company would pay out far less and therefore you'd have far more finance to finish paying off - and no car to show for it.

What if you meet someone you really like and all of a sudden there's a baby on the way? Superminis aren't practical when kids are involved.

ReputationRep:
    Living in London is an even better reason to get an older car.

As for Corsas, have you owned one or driven one? I've had many cars in the past (more than a dozen, my Dad was in the trade) and my Corsas have been some of the most reliable and cheapest to run, not to mention fun, sporty and responsive. Don't discount them if you haven't had first hand experience of them, you could well be missing out if you take for granted other people's off-hand dismissals. They're one of the most popular cars in this country for good reason. The majority of my cars have been Vauxhalls and for a decent little car, they're very hard to beat.
    Lol sorry but no matter what you say I'm just not a fan, I learnt in a corsa for a bit with my old instructor and hated the 'feel' of the car. And an acquaintance of mine had a corsa but it went really faulty after like a year even though it was practically new when he bought it - though obviously that reflects more on him than the actual car itself, I'm aware of this. But anyway, I'm not basing it off other people's opinion, I've driven one myself.

Regarding not planning on selling your car in the short to medium term, it's not just about that. What if you have an accident in it and it's written off or it's stolen? The book price on something like a Fiesta will be far lower than the book price on a VW. That means the insurance company would pay out far less and therefore you'd have far more finance to finish paying off - and no car to show for it.

What if you meet someone you really like and all of a sudden there's a baby on the way? Superminis aren't practical when kids are involved.
    As i mentioned in my last post I'd prefer to get a polo over a fiesta if possible, so I don't know why the tone of your post assumes that I prefer the fiesta...

And lol I'm gay, I won't be having any children (if any) until I'm financially stable which probably won't be until about 15-20 years from now; and by then I'd have a much better car than a polo or fiesta that will be able to hold a child easy. So this point is moot.

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry but no matter what you say I'm just not a fan, I learnt in a corsa for a bit with my old instructor and hated the 'feel' of the car. And an acquaintance of mine had a corsa but it went really faulty after like a year even though it was practically new when he bought it - though obviously that reflects more on him than the actual car itself, I'm aware of this. But anyway, I'm not basing it off other people's opinion, I've driven one myself.

As i mentioned in my last post I'd prefer to get a polo over a fiesta if possible, so I don't know why the tone of your post assumes that I prefer the fiesta...

And lol I'm gay, I won't be having any children (if any) until I'm financially stable which probably won't be until about 15-20 years from now; and by then I'd have a much better car than a polo or fiesta that will be able to hold a child easy. So this point is moot.
    I was using the Fiesta as an example, not telling you your preference! As for the rest, you say it like you think I should know all this! I've wasted enough time giving you sound advice, you clearly have no appreciation whatsoever, even if the advice doesn't suit you!

ReputationRep:
    I was using the Fiesta as an example, not telling you your preference! As for the rest, you say it like you think I should know all this! I've wasted enough time giving you sound advice, you clearly have no appreciation whatsoever, even if the advice doesn't suit you!
    It's hard to be appreciative when your advice is based off silly points like 'you might have a child on the way'

And yes, you would know all of it if you actually read my posts properly!

:facepalm:

No one is forcing you to post on here either way so off with you

Also, 'sound advice' came from iainvg, not you so get off your high horse

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to be appreciative when your advice is based off silly points like 'you might have a child on the way'

And yes, you would know all of it if you actually read my posts properly!

:facepalm:

No one is forcing you to post on here either way so off with you

Also, 'sound advice' came from iainvg, not you so get off your high horse
    I've not read through all your posts as I'm not that sad and actually have a life.

I don't have to post, no. I did so out of kindness because I clearly know a lot more about cars than you do as I've owned many cars over the years and I also worked in insurance and finance so know how it works. You just have a ****ty attitude and are completely ungrateful that I even made the effort. Rudeness is ugly.

Buy what you want, I don't give a toss - especially now I know what a narrow-minded, arrogant little boy you actually are.

No need to reply, unless you're that desperate you have to get another word in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.