Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

drop out of school with unconditional? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm very likely to get an unconditional offer this year. I've done some research, and it seems like unconditionals can only be retracted if the applicant goes to jail or gets a criminal conviction.
    Could I leave school and not complete my sixth year and keep my unconditional offer?

[Please no comments about how dropping out of school means I don't have the mindset for uni]

ReputationRep:
    Well in any case, employers will kind of expect you to have A levels or equivalent if you have a degree, so it would be a pretty stupid move career wise. That would make for a very weird gap to explain on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    No the universities can retract your offer due to attendance, how do you expect to get in without any qualifications.Also it would not be easy to explain this to employers, stay in education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riverstar)
    I'm very likely to get an unconditional offer this year. I've done some research, and it seems like unconditionals can only be retracted if the applicant goes to jail or gets a criminal conviction.
    Could I leave school and not complete my sixth year and keep my unconditional offer?

[Please no comments about how dropping out of school means I don't have the mindset for uni]
    No, because the unconditional is based on the application you made, which said you were sitting these exams. If you don't sit them, then you are changing the terms of your application. Some of the 'unconditionals' have in their small print that you have to sit the exams.

ReputationRep:
    I should have said that I am doing Scottish qualifications. I have good Higher grades, enough to earn me an unconditional this year. There would be no gap, as I'd leave school now and go to uni in september.
    In Scotland, advanced highers are practically useless unless you're applying for England. Many pupils don't do 6th year, instead taking a gap or going to uni after 5th year.

ReputationRep:
    I should have said that I am doing Scottish qualifications. I have good Higher grades, enough to earn me an unconditional this year. There would be no gap, as I'd leave school now and go to uni in september.
    In Scotland, advanced highers are practically useless unless you're applying for England. Many pupils don't do 6th year, instead taking a gap or going to uni after 5th year.
    That won't make a difference as you are still changing the terms of your application. You would need to discuss this with the university concerned, if you get one.

You probably could but as Carnationlillyrose said you would need to check with the university that had made the offer as everything you put on your application- including the exams you intend to sit -were taken into consideration in making you the offer. Those who left after 5th year of course do not have this to consider as they did not have any pending exams on their form.

You might also find that the universities might not approve. I know people who were made unconditional at Edinburgh and the university wrote to them after the accepted to urge them to work hard in 6th year and emphasising the importance of continuing their studies in 6th year.

You also need to consider that many subjects suggest that an Advanced Higher in the subject you hope to study would be good preparation for university.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    That won't make a difference as you are still changing the terms of your application. You would need to discuss this with the university concerned, if you get one.
    Not necessarily.

Plenty of people in my class have left school with unconditionals from Scottish unis. Usually, these are given out because the applicant has already met the entry requirements (based on previous Highers), so having to sit any exams isn't mandatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not necessarily.

Plenty of people in my class have left school with unconditionals from Scottish unis. Usually, these are given out because the applicant has already met the entry requirements (based on previous Highers), so having to sit any exams isn't mandatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check the terms and conditions every time.

ReputationRep:

Hey, yeah as others mentioned do make sure to check with the uni that they're definitely fine with it! 9/10 times scottish unis are - a few friends of mine going to glasgow and edinburgh did it no problem, but it's not guaranteed. Obviously those talking about a 'funny gap' on your CV don't come from scotland, where it's very normal to not take your advanced highers! Just try to make sure you use your extra time productively - eg my friend really regrets wasting all the money she made at her job after dropping out in her last year, because it could have gone towards something meaningful instead of stuff she didn't need

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you would, as you will have to learn all the stuff you were going to learn in the first year. Don't do anything stupid - stay in school.

ReputationRep:
    First year at uni is the same level as advanced higher at school, so I would not be starting the year behind

ReputationRep:
    First year at uni is the same level as advanced higher at school, so I would not be starting the year behind
    That comment you made about not having the mindset for University? Completely true in my eyes!

ReputationRep:
    what I said is completely true. Advanced higher=1st uni year, so I would not be disadvantaged if I go to uni without doing advanced highers. Most scottish students do that.
    I can't stand school, hence why I'm so keen to get away from there and go away to uni
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    what I said is completely true. Advanced higher=1st uni year, so I would not be disadvantaged if I go to uni without doing advanced highers. Most scottish students do that.
    I can't stand school, hence why I'm so keen to get away from there and go away to uni
    Most people on TSR won't understand this hahaha

It's honestly fine! My friend (basically ditched me in AH French) left around this time too last year, he started at Glasgow this past September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm A Scottish student and an application will be retracted if you drop out as your unconditional is based on s5 grades along with your predicted s6 grades. I have relatives on the admissions panel at Aberdeen university so that's how I know this.
    Sorry for bursting your bubble, but dropping out would be like shooting yourself in the foot...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sandidawson)
    I'm A Scottish student and an application will be retracted if you drop out as your unconditional is based on s5 grades along with your predicted s6 grades. I have relatives on the admissions panel at Aberdeen university so that's how I know this.
    Sorry for bursting your bubble, but dropping out would be like shooting yourself in the foot...
    Lol, Aberdeen isn't the only uni in Scotland. The OP should check with the admissions department, usually it's completely fine.

I can't see how they'd retract an offer if they've already met the entry requirements.. Unless, of course, we're talking about an oversubscribed course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My course is very unlikely to be over-subscribed, and I'm not applying to aberdeen but I am to glasgow

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you seem like you've already made up your mind, I don't really see why you even bothered asking for advice as you're brushing every comment off. Personally it seems like a terrible idea but it's your choice

You may or may not be disadvantaged but that doesn't mean there isn't an advantage to doing it. If you want to study the subject at university having a greater understanding of it is going to be a good thing. You will also end up at university with English students who will have done A level and Scottish students who did do Advanced Higher therefore you will be playing catch up with them. You say you can't stand school- that well maybe- but what if you don't like university , or some of the lectures- will you just walk away from that to? It is only 6 months till you leave- why can't you just put your head down- work hard and do well in the exams.
    ? What would you do with the time if you quit- If you don't use it in a constructive way what exactly have you achieved by quitting ?

You say you don't want comments about what dropping out of school says about your mindset but the fact that you don't want to hear valid criticisms of your plans says something about your mindset as well. IN fact you don't actually want advise at all. As neonpingu said- you seem to have already made up your mind and just want people to make you feel OK about the decision.

If you want to drop out, drop out it is your life but maybe before you go to university try and learn that ignoring advise and other points of view without at lest thinking about it probably will not stand you in very good stead once you start University level education.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.