The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They sent me a nice little postcard/leaflet thinggy with my details printed on it. Just need to send it back with two passport photos and they'll send me the 5 year student railcard :biggrin:
Reply 2
I've already saved way over £50 with the railcard!
Reply 3
does anyone know when they give u one if u already have an account?
Reply 4
natwest are doing the railcard too this year (or the £50 alternative). find out which one is closer to your preferred halls/ on campus. personally i would never have an account with HSBC again, as i had a business one with them and they messed up good and proper, losing important things like mandate forms and never sending me things on time. whereas when natwest messed up just a little (and was only once) they credited my account with £30 compensation... what nice people.
blissy
I've already saved way over £50 with the railcard!

I've already saved over £320 using the railcard- it's by far the best student offer if you use the trains regularly, I normally use them about once every 2-3 weeks and have already saved loads, even just in 1 year.
Reply 6
i'm really annoyed with the HSBC one, it says go to your local bank and get the card, but they won't let u have it now unless u have an unconditional offer. they told me to come back after i've recieved by uni acceptance letter, which will be after the offer expires :angry:
eternalsunshine
In case anyone was wondering.. it's what I've been waiting for before sorting out bank account stuff.. If you go to the hsbc website you can sign up online to get your five year railcard (before 31st august) and even use it in the summer (so it says!).. :smile:

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to check it out ...
Reply 8
nabzp
i'm really annoyed with the HSBC one, it says go to your local bank and get the card, but they won't let u have it now unless u have an unconditional offer. they told me to come back after i've recieved by uni acceptance letter, which will be after the offer expires :angry:

Interesting - the little leaflet card thinggy HSBC sent me through the post says I just need to send it back with two passport photos to get the railcard. No need to show that I have an unconditional offer or anything like that. Its only if I want the £50 cash that I need the unconditional offer according tot he T&C's on the leaflet.
Reply 9
Soulfish
Interesting - the little leaflet card thinggy HSBC sent me through the post says I just need to send it back with two passport photos to get the railcard. No need to show that I have an unconditional offer or anything like that. Its only if I want the £50 cash that I need the unconditional offer according tot he T&C's on the leaflet.

yeh, it says that on the website too
Reply 10
this may sound a bit stupid but i was just wondering what exactly does this railcard offer you-how much percentage-wise? :confused:
also what sort of trains can you use it on?
i'm going to rhul in sept (hopefully with the right grades) and to travel to london, i'd have to get the train from egham station to waterloo. i think it cost sabout £8.40 or something like that for return. would the railcard be any good for this journey?
thanks lots!
Check here on the website for Railcard details etc...

Click me!

A third off most fares apparently...
Reply 12
I recently changed my bank account from Nat West to HSBC. I *think* the rail card is only availble to you once you have opened a student account...and you can't do this until you hold an unconditional offer. I opened an standard account anyway...handed in my forms for the student account railcard and once i get my results etc it will be automatically upgraded to a student account.
Reply 13
I have a railcard anyway, i got it renewed for £18 last December. I have saved loads, even just getting on for one stop to go to where my boyfriend lives (don't do that anymore, i just drive) and to go up to London-very good savings. I think it is 1/3 but you can get cool things like Network Away Breaks etc too. I will defo renew it next year if i plan on coming home a lot, i'll see how the first term goes.
Reply 14
sneezyme
i think it cost sabout £8.40 or something like that for return. would the railcard be any good for this journey?
thanks lots!

well it depends what type of ticket it is. the railcard doesn't affect apex/apex return. it cuts the price down on superadvance/supersaver tickets etc

:smile:
The railcard only costs £18, so does HSBC actually have the best rates ?
Reply 16
Dr. Blazed
The railcard only costs £18, so does HSBC actually have the best rates ?

The railcard from HSBC is worth £90 over 5 years.
Reply 17
Soulfish

Last year I had to take my AS12 (letter from UCAS saying that Nottingham were definitely offering me a place - got it about two/three days after results) into my local HSBC branch before they'd give me a railcard.
sneezyme
this may sound a bit stupid but i was just wondering what exactly does this railcard offer you-how much percentage-wise? :confused:
also what sort of trains can you use it on?
i'm going to rhul in sept (hopefully with the right grades) and to travel to london, i'd have to get the train from egham station to waterloo. i think it cost sabout £8.40 or something like that for return. would the railcard be any good for this journey?
thanks lots!

Railcard's save 1/3rd off most railway journeys across the National Rail network.

With a YP Railcard this journey would cost: £4.45 cheap day return; £7.75 Standard Day Return

Without a Railcard: £6.70 Cheap Day Return; £11.70 Standard Day Return - you'd soon save a bit of money.

I went to Cardiff on 31st May, returning the day after; from Sheffield the return cost me £40.55 - without a railcard would have cost me £61.40.

The savings mount up pretty quickly.

I've probably saved £60 or so this year alone, and I've still got another 4 years left on the Railcard.
Reply 19
thanx very much expression and absolution- i will check it out :smile: and you'll get rep when i can give it again!

Latest

Trending

Trending