Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys,how can I know the position of equilibrium in a reaction eg.NH3+H2O==NH4+ + OH- and please explain how

ReputationRep:
    Ask ur teacher if ur stuck

ReputationRep:
    Kc values should give it, if it's large then it's to the right. Otherwise based on that, I think it would be to the right since Ammonia is pretty basic so it will accept protons from water.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    Kc values should give it, if it's large then it's to the right. Otherwise based on that, I think it would be to the right since Ammonia is pretty basic so it will accept protons from water.
    Nope, it's well to the left.

kb = 1.78 x 10-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Nope, it's well to the left.

kb = 1.78 x 10-5]
    oh damn that is well to the left :embarrassed: pretty small KC... Were you expected to look that up? Otherwise how did you know without using the strength of the acid or base as an indication?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    oh damn that is well to the left :embarrassed: pretty small KC... Were you expected to look that up? Otherwise how did you know without using the strength of the acid or base as an indication?
    Ammonia is classified as a weak base.

Weak bases and weak acids typically dissociate less than 1% in aqueous solution.

As for the actual value, I just happened to remember it. It happens to be the same as the ka value of ethanoic acid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Ammonia is classified as a weak base.

Weak bases and weak acids typically dissociate less than 1% in aqueous solution.

As for the actual value, I just happened to remember it. It happens to be the same as the ka value of ethanoic acid.
    Right because the Conjugate acid of ammonia is strong so it will dissociate back into NH3. My bad bruh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.