Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you consider it to be child neglect and endangerment? watch

ReputationRep:
    To leave a child with any breed of dog in your own home, regardless if the dog has a sweet nature?
    But I strongly think that it is even irresponsible to even let a small child near any animal, but what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the age of the child. I think a kid aged 10 or over could be left alone with a dog just fine.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "left with"? It would probably help if you narrow down what age range you're talking about.

Leaving a very young child alone with a dog is irresponsible, just as leaving a young child alone with many things is.

And you think near any animal is wrong? Why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    What do you mean "left with"? It would probably help if you narrow down what age range you're talking about.

Leaving a very young child alone with a dog is irresponsible, just as leaving a young child alone with many things is.

And you think near any animal is wrong? Why? :confused:
    For example, you leave the child (from 1 - 12) with a dog, whilst you leave for about a minute or two, to go to the bathroom or kitchen.
    Because the majority of household pets are capable of inflicting a good amount of harm to a child.
    I personally do not underestimate any animal, and when I see a dog or a cat I am on guard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    For example, you leave the child (from 1 - 12) with a dog, whilst you leave for about a minute or two, to go to the bathroom or kitchen.
    Because the majority of household pets are capable of inflicting a good amount of harm to a child.
    I personally do not underestimate any animal, and when I see a dog or a cat I am on guard.
    A child under 5ish and you're probably right. Due to their height, most bites on kids that age are on the head and so are much more dangerous, and kids that young are less likely to understand how to treat the dog with respect (i.e. not pulling its tail, poking it's eyes, climbing on it, waking it up, etc.), so accidents happen more often.

Above that age the former is no longer true (in most cases), and the latter should no longer be true, assuming the owners are responsible and teach their kids how to properly treat the family pet. So I wouldn't worry by that point.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I thought you meant leave as in leave home alone while you go out.

Why have any household pet if you don't trust your kid with it when you nip to the loo?
    Pets are usually well-behaved, if you train them correctly. I know tonnes of cats and dogs who would never do something. My 11 year old brother took my grans dog out a walk himself.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    We grew up with dogs. With the exception with one, we've had no problems at all.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the child and dog. If you have a dog that has no history of lashing out, and a child who is mature enough not to piss the dog off by hurting it to 'play' with it, then it's fine. For a child to be that mature I'd say they need to be at least 8. But I wouldn't leave an 8 year old alone with the dog for very long at all. A 10 year old, sure, they can go and play for a bit longer in an enclosed environment. A 12 year old definitely for a lot lot longer. By 14 I'd be encouraging them to walk the dog. Again, obviously dependent on the personality of both the dog and child.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.