Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    One that was going for 20+ minutes has recently been switched off so I can get back to my work that involves concentration (glad I wasn't a night-worker trying to sleep!)

But it got me thinking, what's the point of having one that goes on that long? If a car thief hasn't got away in 60 seconds they will disappear.

What are the chances of your vehicle being stolen from such a location in broad daylight?

Are you happy for the same thing to happen while you are at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    One that was going for 20+ minutes has recently been switched off so I can get back to my work that involves concentration (glad I wasn't a night-worker trying to sleep!)

But it got me thinking, what's the point of having one that goes on that long? If a car thief hasn't got away in 60 seconds they will disappear.

If you park in a built-up area and leave it on you are expecting all the locals to act as your guard, without asking or rewarding them in any way.

What are the chances of your vehicle being stolen from such a location in broad daylight?

Are you happy for the same thing to happen while you are at home?
    Mostly it's false alarms. probably the same thing that triggered it in the first place kept on triggering it for 20 mins.

Criminals don't like being observed so tbh we (honest citizens) are all depending on each other to deter crime.

ReputationRep:
    Car alarms should go off if doors are actually forced open (or windows broken), but some alarms are so poorly fitted that even gusts of wind set them off.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.