Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Clinical or Counselling Psychology? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a hard time deciding between clinical or counselling psychology. Both seem quite similar, but there are slight differences - unfortunately none seem major enough to help me decide between the two.

If you prefer one over the other, please comment and let me know why. Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They are quite different.

Clinical psych is more academic in training, better regarded and better paid. Also they will focus on psychotherapy like CBT, DBT etc. rather than general counselling as opposed to a counselling psych degree/course.

ReputationRep:
    Have you read this thread with some discussion about the differences?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3691201

One big reason to consider is that Clinical Psychology is an NHS funded training programme where your fees are paid and you get a Band 6 Salary. (£26,041 per year). In contrast, Counselling Psychology is unpaid and you have to pay fees (Full-time EU: £9,000 per year; Full-time Non EU: £14,000 per year) plus you have to fund your own therapy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Asriel)
    Have you read this thread with some discussion about the differences?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3691201

One big reason to consider is that Clinical Psychology is an NHS funded training programme where your fees are paid and you get a Band 6 Salary. (£26,041 per year). In contrast, Counselling Psychology is unpaid and you have to pay fees (Full-time EU: £9,000 per year; Full-time Non EU: £14,000 per year) plus you have to fund your own therapy.
    I have, thank you, but it still hasn't helped me reach a clear decision.

Full funding does sound attractive, but I'm not sure whether that would be a good enough reason to go for clinical. Is counselling as 'quantitative' in nature as clinical? I'm not a big fan of quantitative, if I'm honest. I like taking a qualitative approach, but clinical seems to hold more prestige?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    They are quite different.

Clinical psych is more academic in training, better regarded and better paid. Also they will focus on psychotherapy like CBT, DBT etc. rather than general counselling as opposed to a counselling psych degree/course.
    Thank you for your reply. Does clinical emphasise CBT a lot? Does it focus on humanistic approaches as well? Which of the two (clinical and counselling) would you say opens most doors in terms of personal and professional development?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.