Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I am really considering dropping out of uni. Sadly I rushed my decision and didn't properly figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I'm not enjoying my course nearly as much as I thought I would and can't see myself working in the industry in the future.

I feel like a complete muppet and like i'm letting loads of people (and myself) down as its a great university. I'm also really scared to talk to my lecturers and my course leader about it.

Have you dropped out? if so why and what are you doing now? Do you have any advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of university a week after freshers, because I realised that my course wasn't what I wanted to do. I was unsure before I started but thought I may as well give it a try then see what I think. Now I'm on a gap year - I've done a few weeks work experience and now I'm working. I've re-applied for 2016 entry on a different course

Only advice I can give you is that if you know your heart isn't in it like mine wasn't, then there is no point forcing yourself to study 3 or 5 years (or whatever) when you're not going to enjoy it and don't want to work in the industry anyway. Just have a chat to your family and leaders and they'll advise you, but do whatever you feel is best for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    I dropped out of university a week after freshers, because I realised that my course wasn't what I wanted to do. I was unsure before I started but thought I may as well give it a try then see what I think. Now I'm on a gap year - I've done a few weeks work experience and now I'm working. I've re-applied for 2016 entry on a different course

Only advice I can give you is that if you know your heart isn't in it like mine wasn't, then there is no point forcing yourself to study 3 or 5 years (or whatever) when you're not going to enjoy it and don't want to work in the industry anyway. Just have a chat to your family and leaders and they'll advise you, but do whatever you feel is best for you
    Ahh thank you for sharing your experience! I definitely wish I did the same as you and I wasn't 2 months in already. Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement it is really appreciated! I think I want to do the same as you and figure out what I really want to do before applying again. I wish you the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lll333)
    Ahh thank you for sharing your experience! I definitely wish I did the same as you and I wasn't 2 months in already. Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement it is really appreciated! I think I want to do the same as you and figure out what I really want to do before applying again. I wish you the best!
    Likewise

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.