Turn on thread page Beta

Is it best to buy a "nice" car when young?! or wait. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it best to buy a "nice" car when young?! or wait.

Or invest it somewhere else? what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    I won't ever need to buy one cause I won't be driving.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from experience, just buy whatever toys takes your fancy.
    No point in putting something off for tommorow - you don't know how long you're going to be around.

ReputationRep:
    Start with a bad car when you start driving. Then you'll really appreciate how nice it is when you can afford something awesome in the future :cool:

But seriously, there's better things to spend money on when you don't have a lot to splash around.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford it then yes.

ReputationRep:
    I would spend 2K max on a car and my dream first car is a BMW as many of you know

ReputationRep:
    i'd take the tack of a different investment such as a watch maybe a rolex, tag heuer, cartier or a patek philippe
    gold be it for wearing or as an investment
    my plan is to buy some nice wearing stuff gold/platinum jewellery i.e. rings and chains along with sovereigns as a long term investment (i plan to buy 100 in stages before 2030)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)

Get a Toyota (any model), you'll not regret buying it. Its cheap and toyotas are known to have stellar reliability. It will serve you atleast long 5-10 years without major issues. I recommend years 2006-onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i'd take the tack of a different investment such as a watch maybe a rolex, tag heuer, cartier or a patek philippe
    gold be it for wearing or as an investment
    my plan is to buy some nice wearing stuff gold/platinum jewellery i.e. rings and chains along with sovereigns as a long term investment (i plan to buy 100 in stages before 2030)
    How is a watch an investment? Straight up gold or platinum metal maybe but not a consumer item surely? There's so many fakes out there. Or even gold stocks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azhar Rana)
    Get a Toyota (any model), you'll not regret buying it. Its cheap and toyotas are known to have stellar reliability. It will serve you atleast long 5-10 years without major issues. I recommend years 2006-onwards.
    Honestly?! i do like reliability. Can you back this up with stats? or is it personal experience

ReputationRep:
    Wait for....?

I'd say just get a nice one when you feel you want it

ReputationRep:
    I would save up for a deposit to put down on a house. Thats the main priority really, ideally you dont want to waste money on rent when instead it could go to paying off your mortgage. I have a car currently though, but its not a necessity just a bonus, one that am thankful for.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly?! i do like reliability. Can you back this up with stats? or is it personal experience
    It's from my own experience with these cars. My dad's toyota hilux has run over 600000 miles, no engine issues, the stock motor is great and still going strong. I find toyotas a bit bland but it has enough power I need.
    They are built to last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azhar Rana)
    It's from my own experience with these cars. My dad's toyota hilux has run over 600000 miles, no engine issues, the stock motor is great and still going strong. I find toyotas a bit bland but it has enough power I need.
    They are built to last.
    Pick ups tend to be more reliable lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    How is a watch an investment? Straight up gold or platinum metal maybe but not a consumer item surely? There's so many fakes out there. Or even gold stocks?
    gold as a the scrap price will rise but you can make use of it before then

gold stocks are good but i like the concept of being able to tap into it at any time if i have to as it is a universal currency in a solid form

a watch is a good investment over time and again it is useable meanwhile so buy buying precious, bespoke or famous watch you can make a good profit after several years of holding but you get to have them to wear

ReputationRep:
    Atleast its a TOYOTA :giggle:
    I guess their cars are as good.
    Watch this top gear episode lol, it reminds me of these truck :P

Enjoy your life how you want tbh. In my work I see a lot of young people with debilitating/life threatening conditions. You never know when it's your turn.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a car old enough that it doesn't all run on computers with planned obsolescence

Buy one **** enough that you can actually enjoy driving it on public roads

Only buy a fancy car if it's a company car

ReputationRep:
    Nah save up. **** getting a used bmw 3 series diesel now when in a couple of yrs u are rocking a m4.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    nah srs at this stage u got better things to save up for instead of a car

ReputationRep:

I'm glad in my younger days I did splurge a bit on cars that I really wanted,
    I wanted a car and I got myself an Austin Metro.
    Then later on when I had a bit more to spend I bought an Alfa Romeo 145 and then I decided it was time for a faster car and I had a Fiat Coupe 20VT, never had any regrets as you are only of that age where you could appreciate such cars once, once you get around 28-30 your priorities in life changes, the regret was in my younger days I wanted a Lotus Esprit and Lotus Elise, while the money was there for such a car there wasn't the money to operate 2 cars due to family considerations.

Once you hit 28-30, your priorities in a car changes quite significantly, for me it was comfort and safety as well as enough room for everyone. Now at near 40, cars have a very different priority, refinement is the name of the game for me and I just don't have it in me to do an acrobatic move to get into a Lotus Elise or any low slung cars,

Personally if I was in my teens or early 20s again, I'd go for the best cars that I could afford that has an element of excitement to it.

Cars are becoming more and more automated and it will only become more so. The regulations with regard to usage of cars will change a lot in the coming years and you can definitely expect more and more restrictions on where as well as how you can drive a car, especially on public roads..

That isn't universally true. Toyota, Nissan and Isuzu makes great pickups that are fairly robust and good reliability but there are downsides to them.

There certainly are some that are no where near as reliable as many would think, especially true for Fords, Syangyong and Mitsubishi. Certainly true of VW as well.

Anyhow I wouldn't recommend using one as a daily driver,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.