Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iss123)
hi

do i have to study maths at uni to become a gcse maths teacher

thanks
I think you do, most secondary teachers have a degree in/related to the subject they teach
AmateurMathsGeek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I asked information about this from many people and no you do NOT need a degree to teach at a secondary school you need a complete maths A level. I also want to become a teacher in mathematics. Wanted to add, obviously having a degree definitely puts you in a better position when applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iss123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by swagmister)
I think you do, all secondary teachers have a degree in/related to the subject they teach

im going to study accountancy and finance so would that be a related course
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had a teacher who was teaching GCE A level Maths and his degree was in History (from Oxford) so that shows you don't need a degree in Maths to be a Maths teacher. Any degree with a lot of Maths such as Economics, Computer Science, Physics and Engineering fields will put you in a good position.
iss123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
I had a teacher who was teaching GCE A level Maths and his degree was in History (from Oxford) so that shows you don't need a degree in Maths to be a Maths teacher. Any degree with a lot of Maths such as Economics, Computer Science, Physics and Engineering fields will put you in a good position.
ok
thanks
ill probably take accounting and finance
swagmister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That should be fine imo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise