iss123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi

just wanted to know whether RNA has 2 or 1 backbone of sugars and phosphate groups

thanks
beyknowles2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iss123)
hi

just wanted to know whether RNA has 2 or 1 backbone of sugars and phosphate groups

thanks
Have a guess. Remember that one of the main differences between DNA and RNA is that DNA is double stranded and RNA is single stranded. DNA is in the shape of a double helix while RNA is in the shape of a single helix.
iss123
Rep:
?
(Original post by beyknowles2)
Have a guess. Remember that one of the main differences between DNA and RNA is that DNA is double stranded and RNA is single stranded. DNA is in the shape of a double helix while RNA is in the shape of a single helix.
hi was just reading the topic now and i understand it know
dna is a double helix however RNA is single stranded

thanks for replying
beyknowles2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iss123)
hi was just reading the topic now and i understand it know
dna is a double helix however RNA is single stranded

thanks for replying
No problem! Just in case you want to know, some other differences between the two: DNA contains the pentose sugar deoxyribose while RNA has ribose hence the D and R in the names. DNA contains the bases Adenine, Guanine, Thymine and Cytosine, RNA contains the same other than Thymine which is replaced by Uracil in RNA. DNA is a larger, heavier molecule in comparison for obvious reasons. RNA is much smaller which is why it is used in transcription because it can fit into and out of the nuclear pore (holes in the membrane of the nucleus).
SmashConcept
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have a guess. Remember that one of the main differences between DNA and RNA is that DNA is double stranded and RNA is single stranded.
This isn't true, there is double stranded RNA.

DNA is in the shape of a double helix while RNA is in the shape of a single helix.
RNA exists in a lot of structures but I've never heard it characterized as a single helix AFAIK.
beyknowles2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmashConcept)
This isn't true, there is double stranded RNA.

RNA exists in a lot of structures but I've never heard it characterized as a single helix AFAIK.
Oh sorry for that! We've learned in A level Human Biology that RNA is categorically single stranded relative to DNA and this is on the mark schemes. That's confusing haha !
SmashConcept
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh sorry for that! We've learned in A level Human Biology that RNA is categorically single stranded relative to DNA and this is on the mark schemes. That's confusing haha !
I suppose that is technically correct in human biology, I think dsRNA only exists in viruses.
iss123
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmashConcept)
I suppose that is technically correct in human biology, I think dsRNA only exists in viruses.
just have done some more reading and it can be described as single stranded
however there are very few RNA that are double stranded
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (101)
61.21%
No (64)
38.79%

Watched Threads