Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I'm interested in studying Biology at university (preferably Cardiff) but I am not sure where I will be able to go in the future and if I will earn a good amount of money.

Can you tell me about some of my options if I graduate with a degree in biology?

Will I be able to find a well paying job and will my salary go up as I get older?

Are the only jobs to do with research, lab work and teaching?

Can you also tell me about those kinds of jobs where you don't need a specific degree as I haven't been able to find out exactly what they are.

Thanks for any responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpexx99)
    Hi guys.

I'm interested in studying Biology at university (preferably Cardiff) but I am not sure where I will be able to go in the future and if I will earn a good amount of money.

Can you tell me about some of my options if I graduate with a degree in biology?

Will I be able to find a well paying job and will my salary go up as I get older?

Are the only jobs to do with research, lab work and teaching?

Can you also tell me about those kinds of jobs where you don't need a specific degree as I haven't been able to find out exactly what they are.

Thanks for any responses.
    I know this is about a month old now but I thought I'd say something. I also want to study Biology at Cardiff (or Liverpool)! I'm also thinking about the career prospects of biology because even though it is a broad subject, the career prospects in my opinion can seem very limited. I hope somebody can shed some light on this thread!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Please don't go into science for the money. With any job your salary goes up with experience. A biology degree, like any other science degree will give you a load of transferable skills which can be applied to almost anything. A quick google search will give you ideas of jobs you can do with a degree and specifically with a biology degree. If doing your own research is hard at this stage I strongly recommend you think again about doing a biology degree!

ReputationRep:
    What do you define as useless?

Biology is one of the hard sciences that help to explain to the natural world around us, in particular, the 'living' natural world.

To say that what you learn in the three years of pursuing a Biology degree would be quite anti-intellectual. We need Biologists, Biochemists, Bioengineers, whether we like to admit it or not.

That said, It is important to underline the fact that career prospects is another thing. I foresee an increase in the demand for Bioscience graduates in the future as technology is advancing and fields are being revolutionised (gene therapy is coming up nicely). Right now however, biology is not well known for its job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Please don't go into science for the money. With any job your salary goes up with experience. A biology degree, like any other science degree will give you a load of transferable skills which can be applied to almost anything. A quick google search will give you ideas of jobs you can do with a degree and specifically with a biology degree. If doing your own research is hard at this stage I strongly recommend you think again about doing a biology degree!
    I don't want to go into science because for the money? That wasn't mentioned? I love biology and I want to carry on studying it in the future. I have researched a lot and I found time and time again that the same things keep popping up and generally it's research, teaching or postgraduate degrees i.e. medicine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I don't want to go into science because for the money? That wasn't mentioned? I love biology and I want to carry on studying it in the future. I have researched a lot and I found time and time again that the same things keep popping up and generally it's research, teaching or postgraduate degrees i.e. medicine.
    Well you mentioned wanting to earn a good amount of money and have a well paying job so I'm saying please don't go into science expecting or wanting either of those. Once fully qualified you'd earn above average wages but certainly not 'well'. But it's all relative depending on your definition of 'well'.
    Yes those are the usual suspects but remember that people end up doing a variety of things for a number of reasons. Your career will be what you make of it depending on circumstances and priorities so do what's right for you now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.