The Student Room Group

London Zoo 'seeks unpaid intern with Master's'

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, none of your opinions matter. Ideally they would all be paid roles but the free market of students and grads have universally decided its ok to throw themselves under the bus going for unpaid(and even pay to do) internships. At the end of the day, its your choice whether you take a position or not, you're not being forced. It may leave you at a disadvantage but thats your choice and the market is what it is. If you wanted to stop it, you'd all stop doing all internships but face reality because you'll never all do that because its survival of the fittest.
Original post by marco14196
To be honest, none of your opinions matter. Ideally they would all be paid roles but the free market of students and grads have universally decided its ok to throw themselves under the bus going for unpaid(and even pay to do) internships. At the end of the day, its your choice whether you take a position or not, you're not being forced. It may leave you at a disadvantage but thats your choice and the market is what it is. If you wanted to stop it, you'd all stop doing all internships but face reality because you'll never all do that because its survival of the fittest.

It's not a choice for those who can't afford it. I'd have loved to have done an internship like this after my Masters but I could never have afforded to do so, although my morals also dictate I would never do an internship unpaid because I think it's wrong. Convenient I guess :tongue:
Original post by redferry
It's not a choice for those who can't afford it. I'd have loved to have done an internship like this after my Masters but I could never have afforded to do so, although my morals also dictate I would never do an internship unpaid because I think it's wrong. Convenient I guess :tongue:

Yet you defend it!

You are worst lefty.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yet you defend it!

You are worst lefty.

Some of them - where they are a masters/phd extension I do. It's important that research gets finished where possible, and I believe this will probably go to someone already involved with the institute.

General free internships though not so much.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What's next? 'voluntary' shelf stacking at TESCO? :lol:

Nope, they send you to Poundland instead!
Original post by redferry

Its good that you said no but you forget that they are still in demand by the market. As long as your fellow students back stab you, the system wont change
Original post by marco14196
Its good that you said no but you forget that they are still in demand by the market. As long as your fellow students back stab you, the system wont change

Unless laws on internships are tightened there will never be a change. At the end of the day charities can always do more fundraising/grant applications to fund these positions
Unpaid internships are a disgrace. They massively favour the wealthy kids who can afford to take them. But you know, clamping down on them is anti-aspirational, or something.
Reply 28
Internships are important to get work experience. I mean, the company or institution is doing you a favour. A fully qualified, full time employee is dedicating a certain amount of time and effort to an intern. That is time and effort which could have been spent on their own work and meeting business needs. I know Parliamentary internships are notorious for being unpaid. At the end of the day, interns are only there was a limited amount of time. Its also there for the intern, a young student, to discover whether or not going into that industry is the right career path for them. Big companies like Unilever offer internship which is aimed at penultimate year university students, those who can work during the summer, on the assumption that they can fully support themselves. Paid or unpaid internships...it really depends on whether the applicant really wants it and can apply in good time.
Original post by the bear
if your life's dream is to work at London Zoo then this would be brilliant.

Right.

They're probably strapped for cash, and if they can find people who are keen and can do the job for nothing, both parties benefit.

For most of the people complaining about this it is absolutely none of their business. It doesn't affect them at all.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Right.

They're probably strapped for cash, and if they can find people who are keen and can do the job for nothing, both parties benefit.

For most of the people complaining about this it is absolutely none of their business. It doesn't affect them at all.

i wouldn't mind this gig... unless they wanted me to work with the snakes...

:creep:

:afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest