Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Masters Letter of Recommendation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I am applying for my masters to University of Manchester for a distance learning course in Human Resources.

I graduated in 2013, and they need 2 recommendation letters from me. It might sound silly, but i do i just drop my former tutors an email and ask them for a reference? Or is there a better way to do this?

Its been two years and i really hope they remember me still

Any input is appreciated

Kind regards,

ReputationRep:
    Yes, request a reference from your old tutors. If they can't help then work references (or if you don't want your boss to know you're wanting to study, you could ask for a reference from a group or cause etc you might be involved in).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_Bittersweet)
    Hi Guys,

I am applying for my masters to University of Manchester for a distance learning course in Human Resources.

I graduated in 2013, and they need 2 recommendation letters from me. It might sound silly, but i do i just drop my former tutors an email and ask them for a reference? Or is there a better way to do this?

Its been two years and i really hope they remember me still

Any input is appreciated

Kind regards,
    Do drop your tutors an email - part of their role is writing references for students, including those who have graduated. Were there any lecturers you were particularly close to, such as a dissertation supervisor, who would have a better recollection of you? Or someone in whose class you did especially well? They would be your first port of call.

Since you graduated two years ago, it might be no harm to send them a CV if they agree to write for you, to show them what you've been up to since you finished university, especially if it's relevant to the course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input guys! now one tuitor already agreed to write me a letter which is great, the second one is a little busy and had not had the time to even look at my request yet! Is it a good idea to get tuitors from second year to write you a letter? As i dont want to approach a tutor in whose module i got 2:2.

I just feel i need a back up tutor in case i cannot get this reference from my preferred option

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.