Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Im working at a fast food outlet and theres this guy his alright, however we make fun out of each other in a joke way, he usually starts it and then when I say something back he doesnt really like it, which is weird and says like why are you saying that you shouldnt.

My shift finished before his so I didnt see him but its on my head, I always say something back which is more funnier but he doesnt like it. I dont know if its a joke or not I mean wheres the turning point ?

Its on my head that we didnt meet, I dont know why, but ill see him saturday now.

Where could you say theres a limit for a joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im working at a fast food outlet and theres this guy his alright, however we make fun out of each other in a joke way, he usually starts it and then when I say something back he doesnt really like it, which is weird and says like why are you saying that you shouldnt.

My shift finished before his so I didnt see him but its on my head, I always say something back which is more funnier but he doesnt like it. I dont know if its a joke or not I mean wheres the turning point ?

Its on my head that we didnt meet, I dont know why, but ill see him saturday now.

Are you calling it a fast food outlet to make it sound posher than 'working in McDonalds'?

What sort of things does he get offended about? Use this to find his limit.

(Original post by Davalla)
    Are you calling it a fast food outlet to make it sound posher than 'working in McDonalds'?

What sort of things does he get offended about? Use this to find his limit.
    Lol. He gets offended by his education I dont think he has GCSES. But he doing evening classes for something. But he starts it. Im in my final year.

Im trying to think I cant recall talking to him properly its mainly just 'batner', I think he may have a dislike for me lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol. He gets offended by his education I dont think he has GCSES. But he doing evening classes for something. But he starts it. Im in my final year.

Im trying to think I cant recall talking to him properly its mainly just 'batner', I think he may have a dislike for me lol
    It could be that you're using his persona as an excuse for banter in some way; if you think he doesn't have a brilliant education, it's probably going to be difficult to successfully make jokes with.

Also, if he is older/ has been working at the outlet longer than you, it could be some sort of authoritarian thing in the sense that he might think you're not showing him enough respect. It's not uncommon for senior members to give a few jokes to new staff to make them more comfortable but dislike it when they become the target of the jokes themselves.

Just tone the banter down a bit, I would say. You'll learn more about each other as you continue to work together (in harmony, hopefully).

ReputationRep:

Up the banter until he cries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucasium)
    Up the banter until he cries
    That's always a good idea xD

ReputationRep:

Everyone has a different limit, you should just ask him if you upset him or if he doesn't like it because then you know to continue or not.

(Original post by Davalla)
    It could be that you're using his persona as an excuse for banter in some way; if you think he doesn't have a brilliant education, it's probably going to be difficult to successfully make jokes with.

Also, if he is older/ has been working at the outlet longer than you, it could be some sort of authoritarian thing in the sense that he might think you're not showing him enough respect. It's not uncommon for senior members to give a few jokes to new staff to make them more comfortable but dislike it when they become the target of the jokes themselves.

Just tone the banter down a bit, I would say. You'll learn more about each other as you continue to work together (in harmony, hopefully).
    What do you mean by 'his persona as an excuse' ? He has been there longer and im not new ive been here for two years part time. I just feel as if he's looking down on me and now hes taking the piss he says its a joke but really at times its like dude stfu. Im trying to think when we've had a decent chat before, I was sat in the staff room and im like ' are you on your break' and he says 'no I just sit here' and so I said im only trying to talk to you. But he didnt really say much.

Its on my head I could have stayed an hour to sort it out but went home instead. Anyway ive been called in tommorow so I'll see him then.

(Original post by AndYourPointIs?)
    Everyone has a different limit, you should just ask him if you upset him or if he doesn't like it because then you know to continue or not.
    No but he starts it I dont say anything, and hes like 'oh you dont know what your doing' 'dont you know how to do this' just petty things.

ReputationRep:
    No but he starts it I dont say anything, and hes like 'oh you dont know what your doing' 'dont you know how to do this' just petty things.
    Then I think he might just not like you.

ReputationRep:
    he needs to liven up a bit and take "banter".

If he can't handle banter expose his life.

If he can't handle banter expose his life.
    This is bull****, he got someone else involved, and the other guy was taking the piss no banter what so ever. So I had a go at him saying who F do you think you are ect, the guy involved is an absolute idiot he even puposely delays our work because he thinks it funny, but customers have to wait.

So we had a bit of an argument today, people need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    what was the joke that you said?

(Original post by robinfr)
    When ?

He was saying to me how im poor at my job, worthless and what am I going to do with my life, im in my final year at uni now so I said to him how he dropped out of school with nothing. So who has the better life ?

ReputationRep:
    He was saying to me how im poor at my job, worthless and what am I going to do with my life, im in my final year at uni now so I said to him how he dropped out of school with nothing. So who has the better life ?
    how the hell is that a joke I think he was having a go at you then you had a go at him. don't mention it next time you see him.

how the hell is that a joke I think he was having a go at you then you had a go at him. don't mention it next time you see him.
    Yeah but still it is a piss take. I mean I had an argument with the other guy who was adding on and the manager heard and said he'll have a word but I dont know what happend after that.

But still,I think it might be worse next time were all going to work together and it'll just kick it all off. I seriously dont know why the hell people are like this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but still it is a piss take. I mean I had an argument with the other guy who was adding on and the manager heard and said he'll have a word but I dont know what happend after that.

But still,I think it might be worse next time were all going to work together and it'll just kick it all off. I seriously dont know why the hell people are like this.
    wont you get fired?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.