Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How is everyone's Biology Unifying Concepts Revision Going? watch

ReputationRep:
    hi all, just wondering how yer revision for OCR Biology's synoptic paper is going?

Do any of u find the unifying concepts revision really difficult? It's mostly intepretation and content from Biology 2 luckily. Ive only done the Specimen paper at the moment and I thought that was quite a nice paper considering they usually make the specimens quite scary. The first question on the spec was just testing if u can read lol :rolleyes: .

Anyways, if any of u got any good sites or notes for the synoptic please post em up here or upload them @ www.rdoh.com/exams
    Username: exams
    Password: ukl

Thanks a bunch . ta-ra

ReputationRep:
    just did a past paper and struggled on this 7 marker:

Explain why the concentration of substances in the blood plasma is regulated. (7 marks).

ackkkk please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)

Explain why the concentration of substances in the blood plasma is regulated. (7 marks).

ackkkk please help!!
    That would probably link with homesostasis? We'd go on to possibly talk about glucose regulation and the dangers of exceeding or dropping below the safe limit (80-120 g dm^-3) i.e. entering a coma. Possibly use other examples as well such as the dangers of nitrogenous waste remaining in the blood? Concentrations of respiratory gases must be regulated to allow diffusion to occur - if there was a concentration gradient the process wouldn't be passive as diffusuion couldn't occur.

That's about what I can think of right now :/

ReputationRep:
    I really hate biology..

ReputationRep:
    whens your exam? if you need answers from past papers go on the website

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit I haven't really started my last minute UC revision, I'm cramming all the chemistry I can into my head at this moment. I'll probably do it over the weekend and Monday. The syllabus is far too vague to do any structured revision really, so I'll either cover everything or do not much at all. Stupid paper :<.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started doing much for this paper at all. Going to look over some AS stuff over the weekend and on monday but nothing heavy. I'm concentrating on the other bio modules and chem instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    whens your exam? if you need answers from past papers go on the website
    what website? rdoh? there arent any for OCR bio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    I haven't started doing much for this paper at all. Going to look over some AS stuff over the weekend and on monday but nothing heavy. I'm concentrating on the other bio modules and chem instead.
    Doing AQA chem?

Mammalian Pysiology isn't too bad, imo it's an easier paper than the synoptic, so thank god it's worth a greater overall %.

OCR are a bag of ******s for not putting any papers/markschemes on their website. Anyone know the reason they haven't?

ReputationRep:

ackkkk please help!!
    Another point to make would be about plasma proteins such as albumin needing to be in a reasonable concentration to lower water potential of blood, to allow diffusion of tissue fluid back into capillaries at the venous end of a capillary bed, or else diseases such as kwashiokor will result, due to oedema (tissue fluid build up).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivineComedy)
    Another point to make would be about plasma proteins such as albumin needing to be in a reasonable concentration to lower water potential of blood, to allow diffusion of tissue fluid back into capillaries at the venous end of a capillary bed, or else diseases such as kwashiokor will result, due to oedema (tissue fluid build up).
    True, but that's all in Mamm Phys, so shouldn't really come up in UC surely???

(Original post by kingpong)
    True, but that's all in Mamm Phys, so shouldn't really come up in UC surely???
    nope it's covered under kwashiorkor in HH&D

(Original post by cipapfatso)
    That would probably link with homesostasis? We'd go on to possibly talk about glucose regulation and the dangers of exceeding or dropping below the safe limit (80-120 g dm^-3) i.e. entering a coma. Possibly use other examples as well such as the dangers of nitrogenous waste remaining in the blood? Concentrations of respiratory gases must be regulated to allow diffusion to occur - if there was a concentration gradient the process wouldn't be passive as diffusuion couldn't occur.

That's about what I can think of right now :/
    water potential of blood - ions such as Na/K regulated

too much CO2 in the blood can lower its pH (as some of it forms carbonic acid in solution) which can damage proteins etc

need enough O2 for the needs of cells or they would be starved of oxygen if you didn't have enough

hormones - too little/too much reaching cells could have unwanted effects - like hyper/hypo thyroidism (this isn't a problem with the blood but with the thyroid - however if the concentration in the blood was not controlled you could get similar problems)

rosie

ReputationRep:

ackkkk please help!!

Did that paper and had the marking scheme. All the stuff said about homeostasis and glucose level in the blood is correct but that only gave two marks (I think). I don't think there was much about nitrogenous waste products. There was one mark for pH level in the blood and also for mentioning the importance of globulins. However the answer that I did not expect was that the solutes are subtrates for enzymes and must be soluble in the blood. A high conc. of solutes means that a quicker rate of reaction happens in terms of breaking down the product (I think that an equation wa required for this). This point was worth two extra marks.

Hate biology. I can just about stand mammalian physiology because the questions are more straight forward. Central concepts is OK, but the worst has got to be unifying concepts. Anyone else having trouble putting down answers that examiners want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrian)
    Did that paper and had the marking scheme.
    Can I have the markscheme pleeeeeeeeease - post it up at www.rdoh.com/exams username:exams password: ukl.

And cipapfatso u still owe me a paper and mark scheme after I sent u mine! - Ive already sent u an email and uve obviously ignored it :mad: . (sorry to sound *****y but my adrenaline is on the move!).

ReputationRep:
    Can I have the markscheme pleeeeeeeeease - post it up at www.rdoh.com/exams username:exams password: ukl.

And cipapfatso u still owe me a paper and mark scheme after I sent u mine! - Ive already sent u an email and uve obviously ignored it :mad: . (sorry to sound *****y but my adrenaline is on the move!).
    I haven't been able to access my hotmail account recently despite the paper being scanned and ready to go. It was 2003 with markscheme correct?

ReputationRep:
    yes!, Im on MSN rite now

ReputationRep:
    Has any one got or know where I can find the mark schemes?i'm doing ocr biology and have done the papers but can't check to see if im am writing what the examiners are looking for as i don't have any mark schemes! Teacher would not let me have a copy!!!Please help! would b much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    *hates biology with a vengeance* i've more or less given up with learning stuff for tuesdays papers - unifying and central concepts are nightmare syllabus's and papers :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan)
    *hates biology with a vengeance* i've more or less given up with learning stuff for tuesdays papers - unifying and central concepts are nightmare syllabus's and papers :mad: :mad:
    Yeah, I haven't really looked at central concepts at all, the past papers don't seem too bad as long as you have a vague knowledge of the main points.

Anyone know how much of the A2 it's worth? (%)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.