Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feel really ugly compared to best friend's new friend watch

Announcements

My best friend has been at uni for over a year and in that time we've sadly drifted apart .... despite swearing it would never happen before she moved away. She is now best friends with this wealthy, pretty girl who looks like a model and gets literally hundreds of likes on all her Facebook profile pictures. I see pictures of her and my best friend together all the time (they now live together) and it kills me inside. My former best friend has completely changed her appearance and demeanour in a year compared to what she used to be like, she was an interesting person and now she is vain and superficial. Every time since she went to uni I asked her sporadically if she wanted to meet or for me to come and visit her and the replies ranged from long winded excuses at first to 'sorry no' and eventually she even blocked me on whatsapp and it seems like she blocked my number on her phone too even though it wasn't like i was pestering her all the time - I literally tried to call or text her once a month. Meanwhile I would see so many pictures of her with this new girl who seems superior as a friend to me in every way: she's absolutely beautiful and looks like she could be a model and cry and feel angry about having my best friend stolen from me and at how much my ex best friend became like a completely different person: dyed blonde hair, contoured face, designer bag etc. I also seem to have gone through a depression period where I've stopped eating as I feel so fat and ugly compared to her new friend. How do i get myself out of this rut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My best friend has been at uni for over a year and in that time we've sadly drifted apart .... despite swearing it would never happen before she moved away. She is now best friends with this wealthy, pretty girl who looks like a model and gets literally hundreds of likes on all her Facebook profile pictures. I see pictures of her and my best friend together all the time (they now live together) and it kills me inside. My former best friend has completely changed her appearance and demeanour in a year compared to what she used to be like, she was an interesting person and now she is vain and superficial. Every time since she went to uni I asked her sporadically if she wanted to meet or for me to come and visit her and the replies ranged from long winded excuses at first to 'sorry no' and eventually she even blocked me on whatsapp and it seems like she blocked my number on her phone too even though it wasn't like i was pestering her all the time - I literally tried to call or text her once a month. Meanwhile I would see so many pictures of her with this new girl who seems superior as a friend to me in every way: she's absolutely beautiful and looks like she could be a model and cry and feel angry about having my best friend stolen from me and at how much my ex best friend became like a completely different person: dyed blonde hair, contoured face, designer bag etc. I also seem to have gone through a depression period where I've stopped eating as I feel so fat and ugly compared to her new friend. How do i get myself out of this rut?
    Are you at Uni too? And you can't use paragraphs? Either way can we get some please?
    Possibly a Tl;dr as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Loosing a friend is horrible. It sounds like through no fault of yours the two of you have grown apart. I would remove her from your facebook and just cut all contact as seeing these pictures is just going to hurt you. Focus your energy on people who will look after you and treat you well.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so sorry for you. just get rid of anything that reminds you of her. and forget about her.

ReputationRep:
    It's very sad, but this person is clearly not worth your time if all they are going to do is be hurtful towards you. Also, never use social media as a barometer of other people's happiness, you never know the full story.

ReputationRep:
    Friendships change. You won't be friends with the same person forever. Even adults sometimes loose contact with friends too and it's natural. Focus your time and energy on finding a new friend, there are millions of people in the world! Also, never compare yourself to your friends, I know from experience that it never ends well if you do. You have to accept that you are who you are and no amount of dyeing your hair and buying designer handbags can change that. The is no one else in the world like you! You are awesome and unique!

ReputationRep:
    Please do not ever compare yourself to another person! She might have a beautiful outward appearance but in my opinion, a beautiful personality can truly be much better. You might be much better than her in so many other ways so instead of wasting your energy thinking about all the negative aspects with your appearance and life, try changing your thoughts into positive ones (trust me it does make a difference!). As your ex-best friend seems to have moved on with her life, I believe you should too- try to find people who appreciate the real you and those who treat you well for who you are. Seriously do not waste your time regretting over things that were never meant to be- you have your whole life ahead of you so make the most of it (sorry about all this sounding really cheesy :laugh:)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.