The Student Room Group

Foundation Degrees - Health & Social Care

Hi :smile:

After a few years of working in the health sector, as a support worker, i've decided i want to better myself and work towards a new career.

Firstly i don't have many qualifications:

Level 3 Diploma in H&SC
Level 2 Functional Skills in English
Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths
GCSE English Language (C)
GCSE Mathematics (D)
GCSE Science (D)

Basically, i don't meet the entry requirements for many courses (nursing. occupational therapy etc). However, would it be worthwhile doing a two-year Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care?

I believe what i have, and my relevant experience, would be enough to get on to that type of course. Does anyone here have any experiece with this type of course, or recommend any places to study?

I'm not 100% sure what type of career i want to have, but thought it would be good to study this this and go from there. For example, successfully study this course and then apply for a course in Occupational Health. I know some places do Foundation Entry Degrees but i don't want to commit to a particular, as of yet.

As i'm a Cumbrian, i don't want to go too far down South... i'd get home sick :P

If i went ahead with this, i would be giving up a long-term, reasonable job. I just want to make sure it'll be worth my while, and not end up messing everything :smile:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, especially as this is a big decision for me!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blaggerboy

After a few years of working in the health sector, as a support worker, i've decided i want to better myself and work towards a new career.

Level 3 Diploma in H&SC
GCSE Mathematics (D)
GCSE Science (D)

Basically, i don't meet the entry requirements for many courses (nursing. occupational therapy etc). However, would it be worthwhile doing a two-year Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care?

I believe what i have, and my relevant experience, would be enough to get on to that type of course. Does anyone here have any experiece with this type of course, or recommend any places to study?

I'm not 100% sure what type of career i want to have, but thought it would be good to study this this and go from there. For example, successfully study this course and then apply for a course in Occupational Health. I know some places do Foundation Entry Degrees but i don't want to commit to a particular, as of yet.

As i'm a Cumbrian, i don't want to go too far down South... i'd get home sick :P

If i went ahead with this, i would be giving up a long-term, reasonable job. I just want to make sure it'll be worth my while, and not end up messing everything :smile:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, especially as this is a big decision for me!

I have a foundation degree in health and social care myself, of which I needed 180 ucas points to get onto, what grades did you get in your level 3 diploma as its a possibility you could get straight onto a foundation degree with that. The only thing is that some universities might request that you resist your maths to get a C in it.
If you dont want to travel too far south, theres plenty of pretty northern options available for you, such as Uclan, bolton and theres a few colleges linked to universities that could be possibilties:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by blaggerboy

Level 3 Diploma in H&SC
GCSE Mathematics (D)
GCSE Science (D)

Hi

Bolton College have Access to Higher Education courses and there is one in Social Care. It also allows you to restudy your Math and English GCSEs on the side! http://www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/key-area/5/course-area/279/course-category/1887/social-care-professions

Here is their brochure on their Access courses: http://www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/sites/boltoncollege.ac.uk/files/user_uploads/brochures/Unlock-Your-Potential.pdf

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Hi,

Bolton College do one year Access to Higher Education courses, they have one in Social Care. You can restudy your Maths and English GSCE along side the course as well! http://www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/key-area/5/course-area/279/course-category/1887/social-care-professions

Here is their online brochure for their Access courses: http://www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/sites/boltoncollege.ac.uk/files/user_uploads/brochures/Unlock-Your-Potential.pdf

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 4
I applied to do adult nursing but was only offered a place on a foundation course for Health & Social. I got CC at health & social in AS levels so I don't think I need to worry about my A level grades. However, I don't want to do a foundation course in health & social, I want to be a nurse. I'm not clear how this leads to nursing, do I do a two year foundation course full time which leads on to year 2 of nursing ... or is it two years of foundation course then three years of nursing degree - which is too expensive?

But I suppose this is an unconditional place which is good for my ego, even if the feedback for everything about the interview other than maths and english tests was terrible. I have two other conditional offers.

Quick Reply

Latest