Turn on thread page Beta

The Big TSR Debate watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome to D&CA's First Debate Competition

This has been an idea long in the making and I'm pleased to finally announce D&CA's first debate competition!

The motion of debate will be:

Do the ends justify the means?

The debate format will be as follows:
    • Two teams will take turns to advance their position and rebut the opposition's arguments
    • Each team member will be allocated one or more two-hour time slots when they should submit their post(s)
    • The debate will run for the duration of the weekend of the 14th and 15th of November
    • At the end of the debate, the D&CA support team will discuss the quality of discussion and announce the winning team
    • The number of time slots each participant will receive will depend on the number of overall participants

If you'd like to participate, please post in this thread by 12pm noon on Friday 13th November saying you're interested. Please include the following information:
    • Whether you would like to argue for or against the motion
    • What your preferred time to post in the debate is (morning, afternoon or evening)

If the debate is a success then there will be the opportunity for future debates, so if you're interested please post below!

(Also, a big shout out to lustawny for helping get this off the ground!)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Dang it! You've only gone and picked the weekend I'm away with cadets.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Dang it! You've only gone and picked the weekend I'm away with cadets.
    Don't worry, you can join the next one

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I'd love to join! Can I argue against? Also, I'm not exactly certain when I'd be free... I might be able to make Saturday evening and Sunday early(ish) morning, and I think evening. Is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    Over the next couple of days, the support team will post and let you know what it is they'll be looking at in a good debate participant. Stay tuned, and sign up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

This has been an idea long in the making and I'm pleased to finally announce D&CA's first debate competition!

• Two teams will take turns to advance their position and rebut the opposition's arguments
    • Each team member will be allocated one or more two-hour time slots when they should submit their post(s)
    • The debate will run for the duration of the weekend of the 14th and 15th of November
    • At the end of the debate, the D&CA support team will discuss the quality of discussion and announce the winning team
    • The number of time slots each participant will receive will depend on the number of overall participants

If you'd like to participate, please post in this thread by 12pm noon on Friday 13th November saying you're interested. Please include the following information:
    • What your preferred time to post in the debate is (morning, afternoon or evening)

If the debate is a success then there will be the opportunity for future debates, so if you're interested please post below!

Don't know why I'm signing myself up for this and I will probably lose my temper at some point over the course of the weekend but let's give it a go lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasaminO_o)
    Don't know why I'm signing myself up for this and I will probably lose my temper at some point over the course of the weekend but let's give it a go lol
    Great, we'd love to have you!

Do you want to argue for or against, and when's the best time for you to post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Great, we'd love to have you!

Do you want to argue for or against, and when's the best time for you to post?
    Sunday afternoon, and let's go with against

ReputationRep:
    I would like to try and do this. I'll argue against and should be free both afternoons from around 2-5pm.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ok, we have a few against so far! Will anyone like to argue for?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to participate. I am happy to argue for either side but would prefer to argue for. I am flexible with posting times.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Don't worry, you can join the next one
    OK

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    I would like to participate. I am happy to argue for either side but would prefer to argue for. I am flexible with posting times.
    Phew.

I thought we were going to be looking at a one sided debate there. I'll put you down for the for side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Phew.

I thought we were going to be looking at a one sided debate there. I'll put you down for the for side.
    It's a very vague question which may lower the quality of the debate as people will be debating different definitions and examples etc. If there is another one I would suggest making the question more specific or about a current issue

I'm a bit confused about the format though .

ReputationRep:
    Hi there deffo interested, and don't mind which side. Very interesting motion btw. My timing may be an issue so if i do take part can i get back to you on my time slot?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I may be good at debating. On the other hand I would argue that my debating skills perhaps need a little work before I participate in a full-scale TSR debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie-3)
    Hi there deffo interested, and don't mind which side. Very interesting motion btw. My timing may be an issue so if i do take part can i get back to you on my time slot?
    I've put you down for for at the moment. The other person on the same side as you at the moment is flexible, so as long as you get back to us before Friday, there should be no issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

I'd be willing to participate, definitely in favour of the motion that the ends justify the means, so for.

I'd prefer to post in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    IM FOR! If the ends are absolute and impossible to stop or break. But depends on what the ends are for.

(Evening)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I am interested.

I would like to argue against the statement
    Mid morning/ night-time are my preferred slots, but can also do between 1:35pm and 2:10 pm

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.