Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've recently been invited to an interview at the RVC for the accelerated course in animal medicine.

I know the interview consists of 6 mini-interviews, however I was wondering if anybody has any experience in these or any advice for them? What were you asked last year or the year before? I know Liverpool vet school operates in the same way so any information from there would be welcome too, or any information on mini-interviews would be helpful.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nobody on here will tell you the exact questions. That would give you an unfair advantage, plus they change the questions slightly (not even all the 2015 apps got asked the same things), so specific questions would be of limited help anyway.

It's difficult to prep for MMIs, as often they're more interested in your reasoning than your actual answer. Certainly I'll say that it helps to have some sort of basic knowledge of animal welfare (5 freedoms, that sort of thing), as well as having some answers to really cliched questions (why do you want to be a vet, ethical scenarios etc). Don't rote learn a flawless paragraph so that you sound like a robot, just make sure you give it some thought prior to your interview.

RVC will have sent you the station titles in an email. Liverpool don't do this but their stations are largely the same, bar the prioritisation and calculation tasks which they don't have. They have a few others (career exploration, data handling...) in their stead. The calculation at RVC is nothing to worry about. You get a calculator and there are plenty of practice questions online (unit conversions, dosages etc).

As I said I don't want to give too much away but let me know if you have any specific queries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Nobody on here will tell you the exact questions. That would give you an unfair advantage, plus they change the questions slightly (not even all the 2015 apps got asked the same things), so specific questions would be of limited help anyway.

It's difficult to prep for MMIs, as often they're more interested in your reasoning than your actual answer. Certainly I'll say that it helps to have some sort of basic knowledge of animal welfare (5 freedoms, that sort of thing), as well as having some answers to really cliched questions (why do you want to be a vet, ethical scenarios etc). Don't rote learn a flawless paragraph so that you sound like a robot, just make sure you give it some thought prior to your interview.

RVC will have sent you the station titles in an email. Liverpool don't do this but their stations are largely the same, bar the prioritisation and calculation tasks which they don't have. They have a few others (career exploration, data handling...) in their stead. The calculation at RVC is nothing to worry about. You get a calculator and there are plenty of practice questions online (unit conversions, dosages etc).

As I said I don't want to give too much away but let me know if you have any specific queries.
    Approximately how long did it last?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by harrietariley)
    Approximately how long did it last?
    Roughly 45 mins maybe? Each station was five minutes (there were six) and we got a two minute break between each one.

There's also a group task which is totally separate to the MMIs. That's only around 15 minutes though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've also recently been invited to an RVC interview (very exciting/nerve-racking!). I'm just wondering, in regards to the MMI's, is it possible that we will have a 'role play' situation, or more that we will just be given a scenario and asked to describe how we would respond/deal with that situation?

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Cripper07)
    Hi there,

I've also recently been invited to an RVC interview (very exciting/nerve-racking!). I'm just wondering, in regards to the MMI's, is it possible that we will have a 'role play' situation, or more that we will just be given a scenario and asked to describe how we would respond/deal with that situation?

Thanks!
    Congratulations on getting an interview from the best vet school (not that I'm biased or anything )

There was no role play last year. In the MMIs there was an ethics station but it was less of a scenario, per se, more of a general 'Is it right for vets to do X' type thing. Not everyone was given the same question at that station however.

ReputationRep:
    In the MMIs there was an ethics station but it was less of a scenario, per se, more of a general 'Is it right for vets to do X' type thing.
    Did they tend to ask any questions on outside interests and personal statements too?

Also how soon after do you tend to hear back? Is it sooner for the graduate applicants or no difference?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by harrietariley)
    Did they tend to ask any questions on outside interests and personal statements too?

Also how soon after do you tend to hear back? Is it sooner for the graduate applicants or no difference?
    Not from what I can remember, there isn't really time. The work experience station focused more on the work exp form than the PS.

I had an interview on Dec 15th and heard back Feb 27th, although I was in one of the last batch of people to be given offers. Most people heard back a couple of weeks before me. I'm afraid I don't know if graduates hear back sooner/later, but if your interviews are sooner (which I'm assuming since you've been invited before undergrad applicants), I'd assume you'll hear back sooner (don't hold me to that, though!)

ReputationRep:
    do they have also have an individual interview? A few years ago I was under the impression that they ran the MMI's then you had an individual interview where they ask more personal questions?
    Also can you give me an idea of the calculation difficulty?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PJFrancis)
    do they have also have an individual interview? A few years ago I was under the impression that they ran the MMI's then you had an individual interview where they ask more personal questions?
    Nope. There's MMIs and a group task with around 5 other people. You're not asked any questions during that, though.

Also can you give me an idea of the calculation difficulty?
    No, because what's difficult for me could be super easy for you, and vice versa They're not going to ask you to solve Fermat's last theorem. Think about what sort of maths that vets realistically have to do regularly and look up some sample questions online. I will say that I out of my other interviews that had maths questions, I personally found it neither the hardest nor the easiest.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. There's MMIs and a group task with around 5 other people. You're not asked any questions during that, though.

No, because what's difficult for me could be super easy for you, and vice versa They're not going to ask you to solve Fermat's last theorem. Think about what sort of maths that vets realistically have to do regularly and look up some sample questions online. I will say that I out of my other interviews that had maths questions, I personally found it neither the hardest nor the easiest.

Hi,

I have my interview next week and I was wondering where I can find sample maths questions? It's the part I'm worrying about most and I can't seem to find any questions online or in any books.

Also if they ask you an open question do they want you to come to a conclusion in the end, or is it enough if you argue both sides?

I would really appreciate your help!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Patricia1998)
    Hi,

I have my interview next week and I was wondering where I can find sample maths questions? It's the part I'm worrying about most and I can't seem to find any questions online or in any books.

Also if they ask you an open question do they want you to come to a conclusion in the end, or is it enough if you argue both sides?

I would really appreciate your help!
    There are loads online This is a good place to start

I'm not an admissions tutor and I don't know *exactly* what they're looking for, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to give a balanced argument. Often they're more interested in your thought process/justification than your actual answers. Apparently for one of the stations I gave a really weird/uncommon answer but I explained my views so they were satisfied with it Personally I think that the understanding/justification is more important than the answer you give, but as I said my opinions don't matter as I'm not the one interviewing

Best of luck for your interview

ReputationRep:

I'm not an admissions tutor and I don't know *exactly* what they're looking for, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to give a balanced argument. Often they're more interested in your thought process/justification than your actual answers. Apparently for one of the stations I gave a really weird/uncommon answer but I explained my views so they were satisfied with it Personally I think that the understanding/justification is more important than the answer you give, but as I said my opinions don't matter as I'm not the one interviewing

Do you get given a calculator for the maths?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by animallover1998)
    Yeah, they're not that harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animallover1998)
    You may find a calculation is not needed at all.... I would recommend focusing much more on your work experience, and considering different animal/ethical dilemmas and situations and how you communicate your decisions. That'll always be a much bigger part of the MMI.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be able to explain to me what a referrals vet service is, I think I know, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could summarise it, thank-you!

ReputationRep:

Thank you so much Just one more question, my interview is tomorrow but I still haven't received an e-mail with more details about it, for example the start time. Has anyone had the same problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patricia1998)
    Thank you so much Just one more question, my interview is tomorrow but I still haven't received an e-mail with more details about it, for example the start time. Has anyone had the same problem?
    The email you got inviting you to interview has all the details on it, about the MMI stations, start time etc. Re-read that email

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.