Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should i only study 3 a levels in year 12?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Heeey guys!

I just recently started year 12 and at the moment I'm studying four a levels. However, one of my subjects are too hard and I don't enjoy it all. Do you think I should drop it and do 3 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in year 12 and doing four subjects, technically five because the welsh baccalaureate thing counts as an A level. I can attest to your claims, it is awful.
    In answer to your question though, if you really aren't enjoying that subject, and you don't feel like it would make much difference to your future if you dropped it, drop it. 2 years is definitely not enough time to be disliking what you're doing, especially as these are like the hardest exams we'll ever do in our lives (lolnopressure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cari98)
    I'm also in year 12 and doing four subjects, technically five because the welsh baccalaureate thing counts as an A level. I can attest to your claims, it is awful.
    In answer to your question though, if you really aren't enjoying that subject, and you don't feel like it would make much difference to your future if you dropped it, drop it. 2 years is definitely not enough time to be disliking what you're doing, especially as these are like the hardest exams we'll ever do in our lives (lolnopressure).
    Thanks so much for responding

ReputationRep:
    Which course/university are you planning to apply to?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The only reason they tell you to do four in year 12 is so there's a choice as to which one to drop.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Which course/university are you planning to apply to?
    Banned so soon?

ReputationRep:
    So long as that a level isn't needed for your degree/job, then yes. There's no point in doing more than you need, and I'd say about 90% of year twelves at my sixth form do 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Banned so soon?
    So soon after what?

ReputationRep:
    It is better to focus your time on three and get better grades than struggle through with a fourth you simply are not doing as well in at the risk of impacting the other subjects. I'm a Year 13 student and I dropped my fourth subject half way through AS. I did better for it, got grades I probably wouldn't have had I kept my fourth subject, and in Year 13 I actually had the opportunity to pick up another AS alongside my three A2's (one which is a lot more enjoyable than the one I dropped the previous year) - is this a possibility for you?
    Either way, do what feels best for you; if focusing on three will be beneficial, and the subject you would drop is not relevant for future careers/uni plans, do three and drop the fourth.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    So soon after what?
    Ahhhh I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Ahhhh I see
    I've been banned for months, I hacked into their systems and granted access back to myself.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I've been banned for months, I hacked into their systems and granted access back to myself.
    Nahh, you just changed your title

ReputationRep:
    depends if you want to do a certain degree at uni, afaik medicine/dentistry requires a fourth pass at AS, and i believe it is the same for highly ranked unis such as UCL for any course. if this isn't relevant to you then by all means drop it. however, you might find that you find the subject becomes easier or more enjoyable as the year goes on, as this was certainly the case for me.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend that you drop your fourth choice because it would take up time that you could have used for your other 3 subjects that you enjoy. Also I did 4 in AS and I highly regretted it because I feel like I could have achieved higher grades without the fourth subject. But it's you choice and I hope that my advice was helpful

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.