Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I tell my teachers? watch

Announcements

Hello, for some time I've suffered from severe depression and I have noticed the symptoms are returning again. I've just sent off my UCAS and funnily enough when I am done I study better but I know thats a terrible reason to not confront it, I'm really scared to talk to my teachers about it though. I feel I need help but I'm so scared to sit down and talk with them because I feel like I will cry and I don't want to cry in front of them. My GF knows about it but she seems convinced that I'm just a little stressed. I have emailed my mentor and I think he is away from college as he hasn't arrived yet.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you think is best! Personally, I don't see any harm in making your teacher's aware of what's going on as it's probably a very stressful time for you right now and it sounds like you might need extra support. Don't be afraid- mental illness is perfectly normal and practically everyone has some sort of mental illness or systems so you're not unusual. And so what if you cry? You're only human and unless they're horrible people, I very much doubt that your teachers would make you feel awkward or embarrassed for it. If anything, they'd probably want to everything they can to help! I'd also recommend seeing the school counceller/nurse or maybe seeing a counceller outside of school? i think pretty much every area in the UK has some sort of free councelling for young people. It might sound a bit daunting at first but it might really help you sort things out- they help young people will all kinds of issues! I hope this helped, and more importantly I really hope things work out for you. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way at the moment but you can do something about it

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big advocate for telling your teachers and your school what is going on, precisely because I DIDN'T do that, and it caused me a lot of trouble.

If you tell your teachers what's going on then they will understand your behaviour better and be able to make accommodations or be lenient with you when appropriate. I was severely depressed and anxious in sixth form but didn't tell anyone. I wouldn't do my homework and would skip class because I couldn't face it. Some teachers guessed that I was having issues, but some just assumed that I was lazy and a troublemaker, which got me a bad reputation and a lot of detentions. So I would always advise telling the school in some capacity.

Bear in mind that it doesn't have to be face to face. When I have something difficult to say I often prefer to write a letter or send an email to make sure that I say things exactly right and how I mean them. This could save you the embarrassment of crying in front of your teachers.

I should also add that if you seriously feel like you need help, speaking to your teachers is not the only way to go about it. You could talk to a school counselor, local youth services in your area, or your GP. Good luck, stay safe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.