Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A few questions -

1. Does it work in your interests to put a string of good qualifications on your job application for a £5p/h retail job or is it counterproductive?

2.If you apply for a job claiming you are 18, when you are 17 (say in Blockbuster Video) - what is the likelihood of being found out and what are the consequences?

3.Can employers find out your age from your national insurance details? If so, how likely is it that they will.

4.Are job agencies any good? Does anybody have any experience with these kind of people.

5.Which common shops pay the best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    A few questions -

1. Does it work in your interests to put a string of good qualifications on your job application for a £5p/h retail job or is it counterproductive?

2.If you apply for a job claiming you are 18, when you are 17 (say in Blockbuster Video) - what is the likelihood of being found out and what are the consequences?

3.Can employers find out your age from your national insurance details? If so, how likely is it that they will.

4.Are job agencies any good? Does anybody have any experience with these kind of people.

i'd say it would be best not to lie about your age...

ReputationRep:
    For tax purporses they will need to see your Passport and NI number, I had to when I got my job. You can't lie about your age basicaly. They have to send a form to the inland revenue even if you don't actually have to pay tax, if they don't they are breaking the law and its effectly a cash in hand job.

ReputationRep:
    i've never had to show my passport for jobs, i didn't have my NI card for my last job cos i'd lost it, but had the number written down somewhere.

but even so i wouldn't lie about your age if they found out you'd probably get the sack and a bad reference.
    lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Retail employers are intimidated by intelligence. That's my excuse for failure to land a job anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Retail employers are intimidated by intelligence. That's my excuse for failure to land a job anyway.
    I would agree with you there especialy smaller shops, in their eyes they don't want some stuck up student telling them how to their job.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends said that he was rejected by a sports shop and then subsequently told that they were looking for people with less than 5 gcses. But I don't know if this is the case everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends said that he was rejected by a sports shop and then subsequently told that they were looking for people with less than 5 gcses. But I don't know if this is the case everywhere.
    hehe!
    that must have sucked, poor guy

ReputationRep:
    Well some shop keepers (I have complained to trading standards about these I come across) like to break the law if they can get away with it this includes employment laws. They want to employ people they think don't know their rights, (i.e thick people), more intelligent people are probably less likely to put up with stuff.

ReputationRep:
    A few questions -

I wouldn't advise lying about your age. You're bound to get found out.

As for common shops paying the best....All the big supermarkets are supposed to pay well. If you're under 18 (i'm guessing you are since talking about lying about age..) however anywhere can pay you less than the minimum wage for adults, however must pay you at least the minimum wage for 16-18s. I'm not actually 100% sure what that is. But I'm under 18 and I only work saturdays and Sundays in a supermarket and get about £75 a week....

ReputationRep:
    I put down all my GCSEs when I applied... I have 10... I got the job pretty easily...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Well some shop keepers (I have complained to trading standards about these I come across) like to break the law if they can get away with it this includes employment laws. They want to employ people they think don't know their rights, (i.e thick people), more intelligent people are probably less likely to put up with stuff.
    Does previous retail experience count for more than qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainat87)
    I wouldn't advise lying about your age. You're bound to get found out.

As for common shops paying the best....All the big supermarkets are supposed to pay well. If you're under 18 (i'm guessing you are since talking about lying about age..) however anywhere can pay you less than the minimum wage for adults, however must pay you at least the minimum wage for 16-18s. I'm not actually 100% sure what that is. But I'm under 18 and I only work saturdays and Sundays in a supermarket and get about £75 a week....
    there isn't a minimum wage for under 18s- it is £3.80 for 18+ and £4.50 for 21+

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ainat87]I put down all my GCSEs when I applied... I have 10... I got the job pretty easily...[/QUOTE

You work for a supermarket which probably don't break the laws, Iam talking about smaller shops.

ReputationRep:
    Does previous retail experience count for more than qualifications?
    I would guess so yes, in many retail jobs qualifcations are pointless unless you're in a managing role. You don't need A levels to operate a till.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    there isn't a minimum wage for under 18s- it is £3.80 for 18+ and £4.50 for 21+

lou xxx
    There is talk of a £5 minimum wage coming into effect, but some of the mayoral candidates here in London promised a £7 minimum wage...

ReputationRep:
    There is talk of a £5 minimum wage coming into effect, but some of the mayoral candidates here in London promised a £7 minimum wage...
    yeah i heard that, they want to bring it into line with Europe. it would be nice.

mind you, money isn't everything i've just chosen a £3.80ph job over a £4.50ph one. just cos it was a much nicer place to work, looks better on CV and i actually really like it (it's a doctors surgery btw) and have worked there 2 years- i don't want to change to a crummy job in a clothes shop where i have no flexibility in my hours, am on my feet all day, am with people i don't know and have to buy their (expensive) clothes for uniform.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    yeah i heard that, they want to bring it into line with Europe. it would be nice.

mind you, money isn't everything i've just chosen a £3.80ph job over a £4.50ph one. just cos it was a much nicer place to work, looks better on CV and i actually really like it (it's a doctors surgery btw) and have worked there 2 years- i don't want to change to a crummy job in a clothes shop where i have no flexibility in my hours, am on my feet all day, am with people i don't know and have to buy their (expensive) clothes for uniform.

lou xxx
    Luckily we're at the stage where money isn't such a huge factor. Currently I'd like to be on what you're on, money's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily we're at the stage where money isn't such a huge factor. Currently I'd like to be on what you're on, money's all good.
    nah i've found it's not. i left my other job yesterday (surgery weekday evenings, shop weekends :rolleyes:) cos it was just dreadful. someone was taking money from the till while the manager was away (and we actually figured out with proof who it was), but the manager chose to ignore it when she got back (she is really good mates with the girl who was robbing), i was getting phonecalls to work like every day (even tho i had college), the boss would giev me a zillion jobs to do at once and then moan when i didn't finish one. oh and when someone rang her to tell her i'd written off my car the first thing she said was 'will she be in work tomorrow' before being told i had been taken away in an ambulance. :rolleyes:

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking of getting a crappy £4/5 ph job soon too.

do u think it would be a good idea for me to lie about my exam results? or just say what subjects i have them in and not the grades?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.