The Student Room Group

BORED ask me anything x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad

Well, I just found my favourite genre for the next month or so.
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
Well, I just found my favourite genre for the next month or so.

Other notable examples include Portishead and Massive Attack.
Original post by yasaminO_o
Dw I'm logging off soon I need to write some essays

So what's the essay you're meant to be writing while you rep me? lol.
So what's the essay you're meant to be writing while you rep me? lol.

About the Aeneid, I'm just getting rid of my notifications atm to clear my mind aha
About the Aeneid, I'm just getting rid of my notifications atm to clear my mind aha

Woah, you study Latin? What other languages are taught in Classical Languages?
Woah, you study Latin? What other languages are taught in Classical Languages?

Yeah I do aha, the qualification is actually called Classics: Languages but my teachers call it classical languages so it's stuck with me aha. I took a Greek Literature module at AS, a Latin Language module at AS and two Latin A2 units which is why it's not pure Latin or pure Classical Greek
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RMNDK
Let us consider a situation, which for all intents and purposes we shall ignore the probability of such situation occurring. We should also look to approach the situation simply as a thought experiment that we are able and capable of discussing rather than having to assign a prerequisite 'worldly value' to the situation.
Of course, there is no obligation to answer the question from this situation...

You sit in a room which the ceiling, floor and walls are made of concrete, except two windows that exist one each at east and west. Through each window you can see another concrete-lined room. And in each room, there is a person.

To your east you see your parent (you are free to choose which). To your west you see a little child (you are free to assign a gender) which you have never seen up until this very moment.

Both are strapped to iron alloy chairs. Their hands, legs and head are cuffed to the chair by tungsten brackets such that motion is virtually impossible. They also each bear a headband that contains electrodes that will deliver a current to the brain strong enough to instantly kill the individual. These electrodes activate by the buttons you have in your hand.

This is the work of an twisted captor. He announces to you that you have a minute to decide who to electrocute and you are forced to pick either your parent or the child. If the minute passes without any button pressed, a toxic gas (we can go with carbon monoxide) will enter the rooms and will certainly kill the parent and child. Whichever route happens, you are then free to leave, (along with the individual you may have saved).

Which room do you electrocute?

What if I changed the situation: the minute passes without any button pressed; the toxic gas will enter your room instead of the others. Does your action changes?

Spoiler

If I found myself in such a horrid situation I think when it came down to it I'd save my mum. In the case of the second situation I'd wait the minute and let the others go.

Very dark question, you succeeded in making me feel uncomfortable.
Yeah I do aha, the qualification is actually called Classics: Languages but my teachers call it classical languages so it's stuck with me aha. I took a Greek Literature module at AS, a Latin Language module at AS and two Latin A2 units which is why it's not pure Latin or pure Classical Greek

So do you learn the literature in english, or do you actually read them in greek and latin? Because that would be awesome. I have this feeling that the literature modules are in english and the language modules are instruction in the languages themselves, though.
So do you learn the literature in english, or do you actually read them in greek and latin? Because that would be awesome. I have this feeling that the literature modules are in english and the language modules are instruction in the languages themselves, though.

No we study the texts uneditted in their original languages. For Greek I studied the Iliad, Book 22 and Lysias' case Against Simon. Last year For Latin Verse I studied the Aeneid Book 4 and Sallust's Bellum Catilinae in Latin prose, this year I'm doing the Aeneid Book 6 and Pliny the Younger's Letters. Latin language is much harder than Greek - you get a section of unseen original Ovid which you have to translate scan, and analyse in terms of literary devices alongside the two Aeneid essays in the Verse exam and a chunk of unseen, uneditted Livy to translate, analyse linguistically and in terms of rhetoric devices with the two prose essays in the Prose exam. It's hard work but I love it.
Reply 229
Ayyyyy Gurrrllll what's yo number
Original post by NeonzHD
Ayyyyy Gurrrllll what's yo number

no
Reply 231
no

:c
Go and revise OP
Original post by Skill Twix
Go and revise OP

chill I've just written two essays I'm on a break
Reply 234
no

Do many people do this to girls on TSR? Or is it a rare occasion?
No we study the texts uneditted in their original languages. For Greek I studied the Iliad, Book 22 and Lysias' case Against Simon. Last year For Latin Verse I studied the Aeneid Book 4 and Sallust's Bellum Catilinae in Latin prose, this year I'm doing the Aeneid Book 6 and Pliny the Younger's Letters. Latin language is much harder than Greek - you get a section of unseen original Ovid which you have to translate scan, and analyse in terms of literary devices alongside the two Aeneid essays in the Verse exam and a chunk of unseen, uneditted Livy to translate, analyse linguistically and in terms of rhetoric devices with the two prose essays in the Prose exam. It's hard work but I love it.

So at what point did you learn to read and understand unedited Greek and Latin? I'm amazed that you've learned a language at an analytical level in like.... 2 years? Woah.
Original post by Jballen
Do many people do this to girls on TSR? Or is it a rare occasion?

Too often
chill I've just written two essays I'm on a break

I remember you were taking a year out
How's studies going?Have you applied anywhere?
I am sorry:frown: You deserve a break :smile:
Original post by nverjvlev
if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Beaver
Reply 239
Too often

It must be annoying having to deal with this.

Quick Reply