The Student Room Group

BORED ask me anything x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
So at what point did you learn to read and understand unedited Greek and Latin? I'm amazed that you've learned a language at an analytical level in like.... 2 years? Woah.

I've done Latin language since Year 7, and literature since year 11. I did accelerated Greek Lit and Lang GCSE and started in Year 10. I'm by no means fluent in either aha
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skill Twix
I remember you were taking a year out
How's studies going?Have you applied anywhere?
I am sorry:frown: You deserve a break :smile:

I sent off my application on 12th October, got an unconditional for biomed but interviews for medicine are handed out in December at the places I've applied to
Original post by Jballen
It must be annoying having to deal with this.

You're not wrong
Reply 243
where in the uk do you live and do you like it
Reply 244
Original post by yasaminO_o
You're not wrong

If you don't mind, could you fill out a questionnaire for my EPQ?
Original post by Jballen
If you don't mind, could you fill out a questionnaire for my EPQ?

sure (if the first question is 'what's your number' I'm going to scream)
Original post by NeonzHD
where in the uk do you live and do you like it

Hertfordshire - and it's soul-destroyingly dull. I'm only about 25 minutes away from London on the train though so it could be worse
I did Latin and Greek for GCSE. There's a difference between modern and classical languages - imo you learn the modern language in order to speak it, you learn the classical language in order to read literature in that language and understand ancient culture
Reply 248
sure (if the first question is 'what's your number' I'm going to scream)

http://goo.gl/forms/rALdC97dif
Original post by shawn_o1
I did Latin and Greek for GCSE. There's a difference between modern and classical languages - imo you learn the modern language in order to speak it, you learn the classical language in order to read literature in that language and understand ancient culture

That's true, although I took French at AS level and if I'm being honest we were taught more to understand and translate into French than to think spontaneously in French, perhaps that changes at A2 and beyond, but I think I'd rather learn modern languages outside of the classroom
I've done Latin language since Year 7, and literature since year 11. I did accelerated Greek Lit and Lang GCSE and started in Year 10. I'm by no means fluent in either aha

Wow. the only languages we got at year seven was french. Then we got to choose german or spanish in year 8. :/ Latin is one of the coolest ancient european languages. I like greek, too, though, because it was spoken all the way into india and persia during the hellenistic era, which is really cool to me, but I'm a nerd, so it's ok.
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
Wow. the only languages we got at year seven was french. Then we got to choose german or spanish in year 8. :/ Latin is one of the coolest ancient european languages. I like greek, too, though, because it was spoken all the way into india and persia during the hellenistic era, which is really cool to me, but I'm a nerd, so it's ok.

Sanskrit is supposed to be v similar to Greek apparently
I sent off my application on 12th October, got an unconditional for biomed but interviews for medicine are handed out in December at the places I've applied to

Oh.That's really nice!Good luck.Where have you applied to?
Original post by Skill Twix
Oh.That's really nice!Good luck.Where have you applied to?

ICL, KCL, Manchester and Exeter for medicine, QMUL for biomed
where are u from
ICL, KCL, Manchester and Exeter for medicine, QMUL for biomed

Oh nice.Good luck mate and I am out now :smile:
Sanskrit is supposed to be v similar to Greek apparently

Sanskrit is similar to greek because they're both descended from Proto Indo European though. There could be greek loanwords in the version sanskrit used after the hellenistic period in india, but I'm not sure. It's a sacred vedic aryan language, so I doubt that much change was allowed to penetrate through from greek.
Reply 257
If I found myself in such a horrid situation I think when it came down to it I'd save my mum. In the case of the second situation I'd wait the minute and let the others go.

Very dark question, you succeeded in making me feel uncomfortable.

A follow-up.

I notice that in your answer you mentioned to save your mother? I allowed you to choose the parent, and this of course also brings the option to leave it blank. If it were your father strapped to the chair, would you still save him over the child?

Nevertheless, I'm not satisfied... You are willing to let the others go and kill yourself in the second situation. This shows that the value of life in descending order is: parent, child, you.
But why are you valuing your life the least? (this is rhetorical but feel free to justify your answer)

By exploring value, let us consider this. The same setting. However, the captor has now set different rules. You have one minute to decide who to electrocute. If you decide to electrocute one person, then the other person will suffer a slow poisoning from the toxic gas. You are then free to leave. If the minute passes, toxic gas is released in all rooms.

Which button do you press, that is if you press one of them?

Of course you are under no obligation to answer...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RMNDK
A follow-up.

I notice that in your answer you mentioned to save your mother? I allowed you to the parent, and this of course also brings the option to leave it blank. If it were your father strapped to the chair, would you still save him over the child?

Nevertheless, I'm not satisfied... You are willing to let the others go and kill yourself in the second situation. This shows that the value of life in descending order is: parent, child, you.
But why are you valuing your life the least? (this is rhetorical but feel free to justify your answer)

By exploring value, let us consider this. The same setting. However, the captor has now set different rules. You have one minute to decide who to electrocute. If you decide to electrocute one person, then the other person will suffer a slow poisoning from the toxic gas. You are then free to leave. If the minute passes, toxic gas is released in all rooms.

I like you.
Original post by RMNDK
A follow-up.

I notice that in your answer you mentioned to save your mother? I allowed you to choose the parent, and this of course also brings the option to leave it blank. If it were your father strapped to the chair, would you still save him over the child?

Why are you doing this to me m8

Quick Reply