Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys! So, I am new in UK and I want to buy a car but I don't really know how the whole process works. I found a car at a dealer in my city and I'm going to test drive it tomorrow and if I will like it and everythiong will be allright I will probably buy it. But how does it work? I mean, I check the service history, then the V5C registration document, if there was an annualy MOT and to make sure the handbook of the car is there. The car has no plates and also how can I insure it? I mean if it has no plates? and how exactly I'm going to register my car and where? to receive number plates

ReputationRep:
    It's not normal for a used car to have no number plates. You need to get the dealer to sort that out before you buy the car.

ReputationRep:
    A car without number plates in the UK is usually stolen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    A car without number plates in the UK is usually stolen
    It's more likely that it's had a personal number plate that owner has moved to their new vehicle. It could also be that the vehicle has only just been imported (most likely if it's a Japanese sports car or 4x4).

But it's something you should look into and get the dealer to sort before you buy the car. And if they do anything that starts to ring alarm bells then walk away.

ReputationRep:
    ask for the dealer to replace the number plate.
    check the cars service history and MOT, the MOT can let you know of any hidden advisories that may of got worse since it last went it. if there's a lot and they weren't fixed - bail!

check the service history to see what works been done, also good to compare with MOT advisors and can see if the car has been well looked after.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.