Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am posting about my unfortunate and almost inevitable failure of my degree. I am a third year who is currently repeating placement due to that fact that I was placed in a tough school that I wasn't skilled enough to deal with in my final placement, so I went from goods and an excellent to many unsatisfactories. This really did crush my confidence and I felt that I was no longer cut out to be a teacher. I still think about how anxious I would feel going to school. So since I was a cause for concern I was advised to withdraw to avoid failure. Now, history has repeated itself. I am having a second attempt now and I'm in an even tougher school with more challenging pupils which I am struggling to control behaviour wise. Because of this, I am so far failing. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has been in this position? I feel ashamed that I am failing again. To be honest I don't even want to be a teacher, the passion left me during my first attempt and it has not returned. So what does this mean for my degree? Could I just have a degree as Primary Education? Or just be credited for all the work I have done since I have passed everything else? I just don't want these last few years going to waste.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Slothfriend93)
    Hi everyone,

I am posting about my unfortunate and almost inevitable failure of my degree. I am a third year who is currently repeating placement due to that fact that I was placed in a tough school that I wasn't skilled enough to deal with in my final placement, so I went from goods and an excellent to many unsatisfactories. This really did crush my confidence and I felt that I was no longer cut out to be a teacher. I still think about how anxious I would feel going to school. So since I was a cause for concern I was advised to withdraw to avoid failure. Now, history has repeated itself. I am having a second attempt now and I'm in an even tougher school with more challenging pupils which I am struggling to control behaviour wise. Because of this, I am so far failing. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has been in this position? I feel ashamed that I am failing again. To be honest I don't even want to be a teacher, the passion left me during my first attempt and it has not returned. So what does this mean for my degree? Could I just have a degree as Primary Education? Or just be credited for all the work I have done since I have passed everything else? I just don't want these last few years going to waste.
    Hi,
    There are a few people at my university in my year (3rd) with the same thing happening. It's a shame that your university hasn't sorted this out. Make a meeting with the head of year if you haven't done already to discuss what you are struggling with. In placement observe your mentor and try to replicate their techniques, what did you do before that worked with problem children? If you got goods before try and build on what you did well. Think of positive behaviour strategies, talk to the children on their level, make sure you use the school's behaviour policies. See if you can observe other classes in the school and other teaching.
    Then again "to be honest, i don't even want to be a teacher" is not the line to be saying in the third year of your degree as you should be teaching for many years to come. If the passion has left you now, will you want to carry on teaching as a career? Maybe you can discuss with your university the possibility of transferring to an Education Studies degree, as I know a few on my course have done, which then avoids the physical act of teaching and gets you a degree which you could use to get job outside of teaching?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.