Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So this year I am in the predicament of not having stellar or even mediocre AS grades and am likely to be applying to several universities for Politics and International Relations. However I am sceptical as to whether I would receive offers from my aspirational places ( UCL and Warwick) and would rather reject all my other placements in favour of a paid gap year placement and then re-apply with final A2 grades to more preferable universities for Law. In the circumstance that I do get offered both the gap year placement and one of my aspirational universities is it acceptable or possible to cancel one's application for a successful gap year scheme? Also if neither occurs what other alternatives could be made for a productive gap year should it be the case that I neither succeed in terms of university offers or gap year placements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salsa123)
    So this year I am in the predicament of not having stellar or even mediocre AS grades and am likely to be applying to several universities for Politics and International Relations. However I am sceptical as to whether I would receive offers from my aspirational places ( UCL and Warwick) and would rather reject all my other placements in favour of a paid gap year placement and then re-apply with final A2 grades to more preferable universities for Law.
    Sounds like a pretty rational set of choices that you're making here.

In the circumstance that I do get offered both the gap year placement and one of my aspirational universities is it acceptable or possible to cancel one's application for a successful gap year scheme?
    Yes, you can either
    a) contact the university that you have a place at and withdraw, and then reapply the following year (if you want to go elsewhere)
    b) contact the university and ask to defer your place until the following year (if you still want to go there)

Also if neither occurs what other alternatives could be made for a productive gap year should it be the case that I neither succeed in terms of university offers or gap year placements?
    Have a look at the gap year forum. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=325

It doesn't have to be related to your degree subject, it just has to be productive. Get a job, do some volunteering, go travelling, whatever - just make sure that you're not sat on your arse for 14 months in your hometown. Whatever you do doesn't have to be labelled as a gap year placement - my gap year was spent working at a pub chain and then going backpacking independently & working in Australia. Both things enhanced my career - the pub job allowed me to get other work experience while I was at uni in the sector that I eventually went into, and lots of jobs that I've applied for have requested experience of working abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Sounds like a pretty rational set of choices that you're making here.

Yes, you can either
    a) contact the university that you have a place at and withdraw, and then reapply the following year (if you want to go elsewhere)
    b) contact the university and ask to defer your place until the following year (if you still want to go there)

Have a look at the gap year forum. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=325

It doesn't have to be related to your degree subject, it just has to be productive. Get a job, do some volunteering, go travelling, whatever - just make sure that you're not sat on your arse for 14 months in your hometown. Whatever you do doesn't have to be labelled as a gap year placement - my gap year was spent working at a pub chain and then going backpacking independently & working in Australia. Both things enhanced my career - the pub job allowed me to get other work experience while I was at uni in the sector that I eventually went into, and lots of jobs that I've applied for have requested experience of working abroad.
    Thank you for your advice,in terms of the deferred entry would I have to state that on UCAS before sending off my application or is that potentially negotiable on receipt of an offer? I'll definitely take it on board and have a look at the gap year page for a better understanding of it. The very last thing I want to do is to be not doing anything constructive like watching Netflix for a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salsa123)
    Thank you for your advice,in terms of the deferred entry would I have to state that on UCAS before sending off my application or is that potentially negotiable on receipt of an offer? I'll definitely take it on board and have a look at the gap year page for a better understanding of it. The very last thing I want to do is to be not doing anything constructive like watching Netflix for a year!
    You can either
    a) apply for deferred entry now, or
    b) apply for normal entry now and, if you change your mind, ask to change to deferred entry later on. However, you should be aware that while universities are often amenable, they do not have to say yes, and may refuse if you ask too late in the year (especially once it is very near / past results day and they think they have fine-tuned all their figures!)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.