The Student Room Group

Advice

Hi, I wondered if any1 could give me some advice on how to decide.

When I was younger I always wanted to be a vet, then once I got to college I was put off by my tutor, as she didn't think I stood a chance. So instead I chose to become a primary school teacher. I am now in my gap year and have a place to study biology at university, as I would then do a postgraduate teaching course. However, I am having serious doubts as to whether this is what I want to do, and keep thinking of becoming a vet, but don't know how to decide.
At college I got BBC in my A-levels, so I wouldn't be able to apply to the normal entry vet med, but I do qualify for the gateway at rvc and the 1 yr lincoln course. But for me to apply I would have to take another yr out and apply.
Does any1 have any advice they could give me, it would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
do some sole searching and find out if it really is what you want to do, then spend your gap year getting lots of experience - not only is it a requirement, you need to see if it really is what you think it is, and if you want to do it.

then if it is what you want to do then go for it. i know how you feel about teachers discouraging you, i was aswell throughout school - but now i have an offer from RVC gateway and they are shocked, im the first student from my school to go, they know how hard ive worked to get it and are thouroghly pleased for me.

im sure youll get there, not all ppl at vet school have went in directly after Alevels, many have had gap years/degrees/resat etc etc

good luck
Reply 2
i agree with the above. get work experience (in all areas large and small). and make sure its definately for you, its a very hard course and you have to pass large and small animals to qualify at the end. . .so u cant just be a bunnyhugger.

i always knew i wanted to be a vet, but it was always a little fantasy; untill i did work experience and realised that this was the only thing i would do that wud make me really happy.

(also, id advise reading 'pet hates', its very realistic)
lucyrobyn
i agree with the above. get work experience (in all areas large and small). and make sure its definately for you, its a very hard course and you have to pass large and small animals to qualify at the end. . .so u cant just be a bunnyhugger.

i always knew i wanted to be a vet, but it was always a little fantasy; untill i did work experience and realised that this was the only thing i would do that wud make me really happy.

(also, id advise reading 'pet hates', its very realistic)

Ditto. You need to make sure it's what you absoloutely want for the rest of your life. Go get some work experience this summer with a vet practice. That'll help you decide.

Latest

Trending

Trending