Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fare evasions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi anyone,
    i got caught using the wrong ticket today on the train and they stopped me and ask for my details. I understand its my mistake and i fully regret what i did, my own stupidity got the better of me. After searching it up, will i be getting a criminal record even if i pay the fine? im 18 btw. Also how will it affect my chances of getting into uni as i have already applied?

please help, and thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mus298)
    hi anyone,
    i got caught using the wrong ticket today on the train and they stopped me and ask for my details. I understand its my mistake and i fully regret what i did, my own stupidity got the better of me. After searching it up, will i be getting a criminal record even if i pay the fine? im 18 btw. Also how will it affect my chances of getting into uni as i have already applied?

please help, and thanks in advance.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...paying-a-fare/

I wouldn't worry too much about it, usually you just get a fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...paying-a-fare/

I wouldn't worry too much about it, usually you just get a fine.
    Thank you for the link, and having read it, I'm not sure if i will be getting a criminal record as it is all quite confusing. This is the first time it has ever happened and I'm not sure what to do.
    If anyone has had any experience in this, it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mus298)
    Thank you for the link, and having read it, I'm not sure if i will be getting a criminal record as it is all quite confusing. This is the first time it has ever happened and I'm not sure what to do.
    If anyone has had any experience in this, it would be much appreciated.
    Basically if the company believes you purposefully evaded paying the fare they can if they choose to prosecute you. However this almost never happens because it's just a big hassle and it's easier for them to slap you with a £20 fine. Usually if they choose to prosecute it's because you're either a repeat offender or you were rude to staff and breaking other by-laws also such as drinking alcohol on the train or verbal abuse of staff and customers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Basically if the company believes you purposefully evaded paying the fare they can if they choose to prosecute you. However this almost never happens because it's just a big hassle and it's easier for them to slap you with a £20 fine. Usually if they choose to prosecute it's because you're either a repeat offender or you were rude to staff and breaking other by-laws also such as drinking alcohol on the train or verbal abuse of staff and customers.
    I see, though while they took my details, i called out to my brother to go get the train as I would miss it. However, without realising, a bad word slipped out (I was already having a really bad day, so was on the edge). This for some reason caused the ticket officer to snap and have a go. So Im not sure whether it would affect what happens?

ReputationRep:
    Wut? The worse I have ever seen happen is they get you to buy the correct ticket at full price.

ReputationRep:
    I find myself in a similar situation...I'm a 17 year old who was caught fare dodging a month ago by Northern Rail. I got on at a station in Bingley in West Yorkshire and got off in Skipton in North Yorkshire, and due to a change in county it is very expensive. The conductor was busy so when i got to skipton, i bought a ticket from Cononley, the cheapest station to skipton to get past the barrier. I was then asked to produce my white ticket they'd given everyone from Cononley and i said i didn't have one. So then he asked me where i was really from, then i said Steeton, the next station. They said that they did the same there. At that point i was honest and said Bingley.He asked me why i lied and i said i pay for the ticket myself and its so expensive (which it is but not a valid excuse i'm aware)He took all my details and said I will be billed, and maybe more. I received a letter today to my parents asking if i would like to give a reason, who are currently thinking of what to say.What should i expect? I'm really worried and don't want to go to court. Will it go further than a fine? I don't want it to be too much either.Thank you anyone.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.