The Student Room Group

Universities - Life experience applications??

Hi All,

I didn't know where else to turn so I am coming for some advice.

I'm 22 years of age and have been working since I was 18.

I was a bit of an idiot when I was younger and never took my studying seriously, hence me never going to college or university, however with all that said I have matured and my work experience for a 22 year old is definatly something to be proud of.

I work for Lloyds Banking Group as a Planning manager where I am on a comfortable wage, I have been in this role for four months. Prior to this I was an offshore liaison based In Manila for 8 months helping implement work and train the staff.
One of my very first roles was a test analyst where I was part of the project team who helped to test and implement lloyds biggest automated system which costs 72m.

A lot more detail goes into this roles but I was wondering if this life experience would give me a good shot at getting into university based on life experience?

Also looking for a bit of a steer on exactly how I go about applying via the life experience route.

Any help would be hugely appreciated & thanks for taking time to read this.

Alex
Original post by Alex_B_1993
Hi All,

I didn't know where else to turn so I am coming for some advice.

I'm 22 years of age and have been working since I was 18.

I was a bit of an idiot when I was younger and never took my studying seriously, hence me never going to college or university, however with all that said I have matured and my work experience for a 22 year old is definatly something to be proud of.

I work for Lloyds Banking Group as a Planning manager where I am on a comfortable wage, I have been in this role for four months. Prior to this I was an offshore liaison based In Manila for 8 months helping implement work and train the staff.
One of my very first roles was a test analyst where I was part of the project team who helped to test and implement lloyds biggest automated system which costs 72m.

A lot more detail goes into this roles but I was wondering if this life experience would give me a good shot at getting into university based on life experience?

Also looking for a bit of a steer on exactly how I go about applying via the life experience route.

Any help would be hugely appreciated & thanks for taking time to read this.

Alex

I think it would be almost impossible for anyone on here to predict that. Email some university admissions departments for the subject you want to study and ask them, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Normally they ask for proof of an appropriate level of study in the last 3 years. Have you done any professional qualifications you could tell them about?

Obviously it will depend on the course you want to study as well. But contact admissions departments and then you'll know where you are.
Reply 2
Original post by SuperCat007
I think it would be almost impossible for anyone on here to predict that. Email some university admissions departments for the subject you want to study and ask them, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Normally they ask for proof of an appropriate level of study in the last 3 years. Have you done any professional qualifications you could tell them about?

Obviously it will depend on the course you want to study as well. But contact admissions departments and then you'll know where you are.

Would I have to find specific universities who support the "life experience" route or is it just as simple as picking my universities I'm most interested in and enquiring?
Original post by Alex_B_1993
Would I have to find specific universities who support the "life experience" route or is it just as simple as picking my universities I'm most interested in and enquiring?

Pick ones you're interested in. I don't know if there are any who prefer 'life experience', there is a reason they ask for A-levels/Access for entry. But there may be some which might be more lenient for your course. You'll only know by emailing/phoning around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending