Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are typical offers and ucas points entry standards so different? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I wish to study computer science at uni. I have been looking at a lot of different unis. One of which is St Andrews, the typical offer is AAB, which is surprising low in my opinion however the ucas points entrys standards are 499. I don't understand this, I mean if I were to get 3A* + A at AS I would get 480 ucas points. I understand that you can get ucas points from other things but I think this is quite a big difference.
    Is there something that I am missing?
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie90)
    Hi, I wish to study computer science at uni. I have been looking at a lot of different unis. One of which is St Andrews, the typical offer is AAB, which is surprising low in my opinion however the ucas points entrys standards are 499. I don't understand this, I mean if I were to get 3A* + A at AS I would get 480 ucas points. I understand that you can get ucas points from other things but I think this is quite a big difference.
    Is there something that I am missing?
    Thanks a lot!
    AAB = what the university requires
    499 points = what students actually got - but this will include things like general studies, pony care qualifications, 4th AS grades, grade 8 music and generally anything else that appears on the UCAS tariff, whether or not the university cares about it. In addition, students who have taken the IB get a point score that tends to inflate the overall average.

Focus on the entry requirements stated on the uni's website (i.e. AAB) - the UCAS points thing is really only there to scare you (I do wish they wouldn't publish it - it causes so much confusion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    AAB = what the university requires
    499 points = what students actually got - but this will include things like general studies, pony care qualifications, 4th AS grades, grade 8 music and generally anything else that appears on the UCAS tariff, whether or not the university cares about it. In addition, students who have taken the IB get a point score that tends to inflate the overall average.

Focus on the entry requirements stated on the uni's website (i.e. AAB) - the UCAS points thing is really only there to scare you (I do wish they wouldn't publish it - it causes so much confusion).
    When they calculate UCAS Tariffs in league tables, only UCAS points gained from examinations are recorded -- so no UCAS points from pony care or grade 8 music.

But yeah UCAS points can be distorted due to people taking 5 AS Levels (or 4 A Levels) and when applicants come in with different qualifications (e.g. Scottish Highers and IB). St Andrews has more applicants than places so they'll be able to choose who they take. This could potentially mean that those who have predicted grades above their stated offers have a better chance of getting an offer.
    Nevertheless, if you have a strong personal statement, I'm sure you'll have a strong chance of getting an offer. Once you get that offer, you only need to fulfil to get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    When they calculate UCAS Tariffs in league tables, only UCAS points gained from examinations are recorded -- so no UCAS points from pony care or grade 8 music.

But yeah UCAS points can be distorted due to people taking 5 AS Levels (or 4 A Levels) and when applicants come in with different qualifications (e.g. Scottish Highers and IB). St Andrews has more applicants than places so they'll be able to choose who they take. This could potentially mean that those who have predicted grades above their stated offers have a better chance of getting an offer.
    Nevertheless, if you have a strong personal statement, I'm sure you'll have a strong chance of getting an offer. Once you get that offer, you only need to fulfil to get in
    I really CBA to go and check all of the league tables, but the first one I checked, CUG, does look at points gained from all sources http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...s/methodology/ Given that they're taking their data from HESA, and I'm not aware of any other sources of that data, I suspect that other league tables are doing the same thing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I really CBA to go and check all of the league tables, but the first one I checked, CUG, does look at points gained from all sources http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...s/methodology/ Given that they're taking their data from HESA, and I'm not aware of any other sources of that data, I suspect that other league tables are doing the same thing too.
    The link you provided me with supports what I say...
    • "Each student's examination results were converted to a numerical score (A level A=120, B=100 ... E=40, etc; Scottish Highers A=72, B=60, etc) and added up to give a score total. HESA then calculated an average for all students at the university. The results were then adjusted to take account of the subject mix at the university. Students on a foundation year were excluded."
    Where do you get that they take UCAS points from all sources?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.