The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
lou p
urghhh i've just remembered my dad's... he dislocated his kneeecap skiing (maybe my family should avoid this sport) and it went right round to the back of his leg... he then skiied to the bottom of the mountain (he'd been off piste- he was a brilliant skiier). it still causes him problems like 30 years later and he's had to have operations on his back cos of it.lou xxx

ohh, i remember there was a rugby match in school once - i didn't watch it though - and apparently one of the guys from our team got a bit angry and attacked one of the other team. his knee cap flew out of his leg and landed on the ground! can that actually happen?
Reply 41
amazingtrade
It wasn't too bad, the nurse just had to get rid of a load of blood from my knee the bleeding healed itself so luckily I didn't need any operations so all they did other than the usual fracture thing is pump a load of blood out of me, I did faint as well due to blood loss but it wasn't enough to cause any real long term problems so I didn't need any extra blood.

I had another injury in a PE as well and was hospitalised I just broke my ancle but it wasn't really serious.

i can't even get a shot without ceremoniously freaking out b4hand!

lol :tongue:
flds07
do you still ride..?

when I get the chance. I stopped riding a little while ago because of exams and stuff. I'm gonna start having lessons again over the summer...
Reply 43
sparkler
ohh, i remember there was a rugby match in school once - i didn't watch it though - and apparently one of the guys from our team got a bit angry and attacked one of the other team. his knee cap flew out of his leg and landed on the ground! can that actually happen?

dunno, i know my dad's went round a full 180 degrees tho (eeek), so i guess if the skin is broken it could come out... yuk yuk yuk

lou xxx
I've been reasonably lucky - as I haven't been in hospital since the day I was born. :smile:

Worst injury would be a torn hamstring which I had to go to physio for. Did it whilst playing football in the summer holiday, and couldn't run properly (without twinges and pain) until just before Christmas of that year. The worst thing was that it happened when I was trying to smack the ball, missed the ball and ended up kicking the floor (indoor 5-a-side) - so I ballsed up the shot and got injured. :frown:

I'm surprised I didn't get seriously injured when skiing for the first time back in February - I am the most dangerous skier ever, as I only like to ski fast and in straight lines.
On the penultimate day we were skiing around a curving incline which had about 7 wooden danger poles with 6 foot intervals between them. Yes you guessed it, I decided to slalom them :biggrin: and got past the first four - then my ski got stuck and I fell off the side of the slope - about 16 feet down :eek:. Luckily there was really light snow to break my fall, but the snow came up to my head (when I was stood up) and it took me 30mins to get out. Never again. :frown:
Reply 45
sparkler

wait.. what?!? that is totally not possible, i mean, i would not want to be attacked by a rugby player , ever, but that just seems way too weird
Reply 46
mobbdeeprob
I've been reasonably lucky - as I haven't been in hospital since the day I was born. :smile:

Worst injury would be a torn hamstring which I had to go to physio for. Did it whilst playing football in the summer holiday, and couldn't run properly (without twinges and pain) until just before Christmas of that year. The worst thing was that it happened when I was trying to smack the ball, missed the ball and ended up kicking the floor (indoor 5-a-side) - so I ballsed up the shot and got injured. :frown:

I'm surprised I didn't get seriously injured when skiing for the first time back in February - I am the most dangerous skier ever, as I only like to ski fast and in straight lines.
On the penultimate day we were skiing around a curving incline which had about 7 wooden danger poles with 6 foot intervals between them. Yes you guessed it, I decided to slalom them :biggrin: and got past the first four - then my ski got stuck and fell off the side of the slope - about 16 feet down :eek:. Luckily there was really light snow to break my fall, but the snow came up to my head (when I was stood up) and it took me 30mins to get out. Never again. :frown:

how long ago was all of this?

well, did your team win the football game?
Reply 47
ainat87
when I get the chance. I stopped riding a little while ago because of exams and stuff. I'm gonna start having lessons again over the summer...

maybe you should wear pads or something... lol :tongue:
Mine's bein knocked unconcious during a football match. I was in nets and a big guy dived in 2 footed while i was on the ground, I was out cold. Nasty, i really don't remember much for about 2 hours after. :confused:
Reply 49
Pollo Loco
Mine's bein knocked unconcious during a football match. I was in nets and a big guy dived in 2 footed while i was on the ground, I was out cold. Nasty, i really don't remember much for about 2 hours after. :confused:

ugh, was anything else hurt?
flds07
how long ago was all of this?

well, did your team win the football game?

It wasn't last summer, but the summer before. I think the game was stopped after I got injured, lol. I was squealing and shrieking because the pain was intense.

I haven't been swimming for ages though, because a little while after I had recovered from the hamstring stuff - on two occassions (whilst swimming) the muscles in my right leg seized up and caused intense pain for about 4 seconds, which was really scary.
flds07
maybe you should wear pads or something... lol :tongue:

lol. Does anyone else on UKL ride?
Yea, I'm definately starting up again. I havn't been in ages, unless you count the times I rode my mates horse recently-ish. lol. But I'm gonna start up with proper lessons again...
Reply 52
mobbdeeprob
It wasn't last summer, but the summer before. I think the game was stopped after I got injured, lol. I was squealing and shrieking because the pain was intense.

I haven't been swimming for ages though, because a little while after I had recovered from the hamstring stuff - on two occassions (whilst swimming) the muscles in my right leg seized up and caused intense pain for about 4 seconds, which was really scary.

oh, wow

well, when i broke my ankle they kept on going! lol, but we lost :rolleyes:

do you ever go to physical therapy?
flds07
ugh, was anything else hurt?

I had a real sore neck where my head snapped back, bad headaches (probs from the concussion) and some nice brusies. I looked like i'd been roughed up by some rugby players or something. We beat the team next time we played them though and i got my own back. :smile:
Reply 54
Torn the AT (Anterior Talofibular) ligament, the Calcaneofibular Ligament, and major lateral ligaments in one long jump (all in the ankle). The most unsatisfying injury in the world - takes much longer to heal than a broken bone of any kind. Even after you begin walking, you always misplace your foot and go back on crutches for half a week. That was seriously painful. My athletics coach could distinctly hear them snap at the 200m start and the long jump pit is by the finish line. No kidding.
Reply 55
ainat87
lol. Does anyone else on UKL ride?
Yea, I'm definately starting up again. I havn't been in ages, unless you count the times I rode my mates horse recently-ish. lol. But I'm gonna start up with proper lessons again...

i don't

wwaay too scared.. i can't deal w/ riding something that's living.. or even not having my feet on the ground.. lol.. i am such a baby
Reply 56
Yannis
Torn the AT (Anterior Talofibular) ligament, the Calcaneofibular Ligament, and major lateral ligaments in one long jump (all in the ankle). The most unsatisfying injury in the world - takes much longer to heal than a broken bone of any kind. Even after you begin walking, you always misplace your foot and go back on crutches for half a week. That was seriously painful. My athletics coach could distinctly hear them snap at the 200m start and the long jump pit is by the finish line. No kidding.

eew! the sound is almost the worst part (third to the pain and healing time)
Reply 57
Pollo Loco
I had a real sore neck where my head snapped back, bad headaches (probs from the concussion) and some nice brusies. I looked like i'd been roughed up by some rugby players or something. We beat the team next time we played them though and i got my own back. :smile:

that's the best revenge (in my opinion) :tongue:
flds07
i don't

wwaay too scared.. i can't deal w/ riding something that's living.. or even not having my feet on the ground.. lol.. i am such a baby

one of my mates is like that. I personally love it (obviously :biggrin: ) especially jumping... even if it does result in several falls to the ground... :tongue:
Yannis

Ouch!! Ooh, nasty. What distance you get though, just out of interest?? Jokin! That's one painful long jump! :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending