Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I want to either do a degree in psychology or neuroscience. I want to end up doing research after maybe taking a masters or even a pHD,(is going into research possible after just a degree?) so i was wondering which degree would allow me to have the option of studying either psych or neuro since i am not sure what i will be most interested in after my undergraduate studies.

I don't want to limit myself by choosing the wrong degree.

Any help is appreciated Thanks!

I am in year 12 studying Bio, Chem and Psych

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at universities that offer joint Psychology and Neuroscience? For example, I just received an offer from Glasgow for their psychology and neuroscience course.
    In order to go into research you'd need a postgraduate qualification, normally a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    The research route usually is a masters and PhD, in that you'll do those and then join the unviersity as a researcher/lecturer or then move into NHS/private research.

A combined degree as mentioned above?
    Perhaps a degree in one and then a combined masters?

At the end of the day, research is often collaborative, so if you became a neuroscientist and were interested in psychological areas, you can just team up with neuro-psychologists and work together. I imagine there is a lot of cross-over and won't really matter.

Contact reseacher's at uni's who have either qualification and ask them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.